Alpha/WIP - Electro Doll Kiraya: A 2D Platformer inspired by Mega Drive/Sega Genesis classics

Hello, this is my first game-related post here! I’d like to show this little Alpha I’ve been working on since 2022 for CEBRAC’s Game Development Course: Electro Doll Kiraya, an old-school Sega Genesis/Mega Drive style 2D platformer with action elements! This project is inspired by many 2D platformer and action titles from the 80s and 90s such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Rocket Knight Adventures, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster’s Hidden Treasure, Ghouls 'n Ghosts and The Revenge of Shinobi. Like those games, this will be a short arcade experience that should be finished in one sitting, but Passwords hidden in all the levels can be inserted too!

In this game, you control the titular Kiraya, a humanoid “Mekarette” robot doll who runs away from her evil creator, Dr.Ningyo, after a failed laboratory experiment accidentally gives her free will. Unfortunately, Ningyo will do everything to get her beloved “daughter” back, including creating chaos across all the countries of the Sirkuit continent!

4 Likes

Looks really neat. My only suggestion would be to dampen or smooth the camera following the player. There’s an extension for it, so it should be easy to implement:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the feedback! Will use the extension for sure. :grinning:

WoooooooW! Very cool! In fact it has all the feel of the Mega Drive! And the graphics are beautiful! I’m impressed! :star_struck:

I agree with MrMen. The smooth camera can be a good change! And if you allow me to make a suggestion, it seems to me that when releasing the spell in the floor the character stays still for a long time. But it just a impression looking the video I don’t know if it really occurs.

Keep going!!! :brazil:

1 Like

Thanks a lot, Rasterisko! I’m trying my best to reproduce the Mega Drive aesthetic right.

And if you allow me to make a suggestion, it seems to me that when releasing the spell in the floor the character stays still for a long time. But it just a impression looking the video I don’t know if it really occurs.

Good eye! This is happening because I didn’t add the “Key is released” condition (and the action that makes the character return to the idle animation) yet. This will be done in another update.