Extension Persistence: Allow downloaded extensions be used in different Projects

Petition for downloaded extensions to persist through different projects
:upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Iā€™m not sure persistence is a good idea as it would bloat projects, but I believe the downloaded extensions should be stored for all projects and made more accessible than the extension library, yes.
Example of what it could look like:

5 Likes

Maybe itā€™s designed in such a way that when you download it the first time, it gets stored in the engine files then when you want to use that extension for a different project, it would make a copy into your project folder

I suggest this since you can copy and paste extensions through multiple projects manually without internet

3 Likes

The thread ā€œSaved Extensionsā€ has been closed and merged with this request.
Please remember to search for an existing demand before positing a new one.

Quote from the first message by @Flip :

Whenever Iā€™m offline and want to use an extension, most of the time I need to download it into the new project
A workaround I found is going to a project with the extension you want to use the copying and pasting it into the new project or by export and importing
But it would be better for extensions you previously downloaded in other projects to be loaded into another project without all those extra steps
Mabye scanning recent project folders?

3 Likes

I want this feature, but not for extensions that are already on the store, I want so the extensions I created myself be available[1] in all my projects.

1 ā†’ By ā€œavailableā€ I didnā€™t mean that they will just be linked to all my projects, but that they can just be ā€œdownloadedā€ to my project in a matter of clicks.

1 Like

I would see it best to have in gdevelop folder a folder named extensions
And there store all extensions you downloaded for any project
And now they should be accessible in any project even if you are offline

2 Likes

It would be nice to have a dedicated ā€˜My Libraryā€™ on the home screen so that extensions and objects can be used in various projects, rather than manually playing with files in folders.
For example, with graphics tools, you donā€™t want to re-import all the brushes and materials from scratch every time.

When exporting a project, only scenes that are used should be ticked and resources that are not used should not be included in the export.
(At the moment, I have multiple games in one project for ease of use, but it would be a hassle to create a separate project for each test play)

3 Likes

I like Grukā€™s idea of having a ā€˜previously usedā€™ extension list to make often-used extensions easier to access. I donā€™t mind whether they are downloaded and available offline for all projects (but not attached to all projects), or itā€™s just a simple recent list that makes it quicker to download favourite extension again. I definitely donā€™t want extensions bundled with my game that arenā€™t used by it and were downloaded for a different project.

2 Likes