GDevelop 5 new editor - Beta versions

Great! I really like cocos2d-JS I have tried both exports and I personally like more cocos hopefully it can go further than being experimental. Gonna try it later today.

Sweet :slight_smile: I’m using Cocos2d-JS on a Android/iOS game so it’s working well but requires more technical knowledge to use it. Interested by any feedback on it :slight_smile:

Hi!

I tried GD5 beta 9 and it is great!
If it had an expression editor, I’d say I might use it instead of GD4.

One thing though: the GDevelop page still lists it on the label as “beta 7”.

I especially liked the unconventional scrollbars. Nice touch!

Also, a feature request: would it be possible for groups to have variables as well?
Before last weekend, I did a small “workshop” in simple 2D web game development and the guy who came had a game in mind where random objects were created at the base of a cannon and could be shot out.
To select objects randomly, we decided to have place them in a group and use a built-in action to select one by name from the group.
We didn’t want to put a naming convention in place, like “projectile_1”, “projectile_2”, etc. and use the “projectile_ + Random(x)” trick, since the projectiles were very distinct objects and we’d have rather liked to name them descriptively. We agreed that it was not a clean solution out of a programmer’s standpoint. Furthermore, we also agreed that this is not what global and scene variables were for, so we created an invisible “ProjectileGroupVariableContainer” object, to hold a structure variable with the name of every object in the group as its elements, and selected them via indexing with “Random()”.
This could all be solved if groups could have variables attached to them, or if there was a simple function similar to “collection.choice()” in Python.

Regards,
Nnarol

Hi guys, I’ve finished working on an implementation of the expression editor for GD5! I’ve just deployed it to the web app (will be in the desktop version when I release the next version soon!)

It’s quite simple but complete: the list of available expression can be displayed using the blue “Functions” button on the right. The list is searchable, much like the list of actions/conditions. When an expression is chosen, you can fill all the required parameters, just like an action/condition too!

Really nice :slight_smile:

Though, when we use the search sometime it does not display all the available expressions.
For example if I search for “x position” it does show most of the expression related getting, setting the X position of something but in case I use the term “position x” it does not show all the options.
Also would be nice to keep the most relevant results on the top. For example if I search for “Var” it display global and scene variable expressions on the top, then a bunch of other expressions and put object variables on the bottom of the list, but I would prefer to see all the relevant options on the top, in this case all the variable options simply because I type in “Var” and the expressions beginning with “Var”.
Also, I find the window a bit too small and the font a bit too big as it display only 3 results only at the time, personally I would prefer smaller fonts and bigger window so I can see more options and need to scroll less to find the one I’m looking for.

With my suggestion would be faster to use the editor imo :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback! The search is quite “dumb” for now and I could surely improve it (either by breaking the words or having a list of recently used expression!).

I plan to do adaptations to have smaller fonts in lists (something that is configurable for the whole app) too. :slight_smile:
For now I’ve increased the height of the list!

Small update (on the web app for now), you can copy/cut/paste objects in the objects editor and there is a preview for animations in Sprite object editor :slight_smile:

Nice :slight_smile:

Do you have any estimate on when the JS event going to be available?
When I add the event I get unknown event type message in the editor.

Hi everyone! I have been following the project for a long time, and I wanted some information on the new GDevelop 5:

1> With the new Beta9 the HTML5, IOS, Android (in development) export has been implemented, but no Desktop export. Will also be included the ability to create executables for Windows, Mac Os, and Linux?

2> The new IDE is very nice, intuitive and I really appreciate the organization of the GUI. In the future, are you going to implement the main features of GDevelop 4, or features like box3d will not be added? the new IDE uses web development libraries (Cocos2d.js, and Pixi.js), while GDevelop 4 uses graphic libraries written in C++ (SFML2). My question is: is it possible to implement box3d and all the features of GD4?

3> My dream? the implementation of shaders and effects of SNes and Sega Megadrive. SNes used a lot of effects like Mode 7, Mosaic. Mind the Medarive used things like the SuperScaler. Also the addition of the CRT effect would be very nice, to simulate the 80s screens with a curved effect (the arcade screens). The question is: will shaders be added to GD5?

4> Reading the new documentation I noticed that you have implemented a command to manage with a click the typical characteristics of a platformer game. This is a great thing because, if I understand correctly, it greatly simplifies the design of features such as collision management, character movements (directions, jump, fire and more). The Platformer genre is widespread, so making a Castlevania clone (example) is much simpler. My question is the following: new tools will be added to simplify the creation of games like shooter (type r-type), beat’em up (like Double Dragon, if you do this I will also give you my house :smiling_imp: ), and the possibility of also create point and click games in Lucasarts style?

Thank you for your attention, and I apologize if what I wrote is unclear and not perfectly correct (grammatical form). 4ian you’re a great one! you have created a fantastic project. Thank you so much. I wish you a great success because you really deserve it :wink:

1 Like

No real idea, but it’s on my plan :slight_smile: I could add a very basic editor to get started

I might add an export option for Desktop (using “Electron” to package the game) :slight_smile:

Thanks :slight_smile: It’s planned to port as much features as possible. For now I concentrate on the one available in the HTML5 games engine.

Box3d is something that should be doable. For other feature it depends, but if I add a native export later, it can still support more things than the HTML5 games. Even if I try to maintain each game engine (HTML5 and native) as the same level of features!

It was an idea at one point to add shaders for objects. For now I plan to port a feature from GD4 where you can add shaders to layers (it’s still very basic, it’s hardcoded effects).

You mean behaviors? I do not plan for now to have simplified tools for each kind of game, but to have a good library of behaviors so that you can quickly get started with any kind of game :slight_smile: The idea is too be flexible enough to do anything, while having behaviors that you can add to objects for the most common gameplay mechanisms :slight_smile:

4ian thanks for your answers. I plan to make a 2D Castlevania based on a story I wrote in the past. My story tells the events that took place after Simphony of the night. I’m a writer, I’ve been writing for years, and I have a good experience in the computer industry but making a video game from scratch is out of my reach. GDevelop is a very promising project, because it includes all the logic of a true programming language but simplifies the realization thanks to the use of the events.

I follow your project with interest, and experience the first concept with the new beta10. Desktop export would be useful, and I just know that you’re going to implement this feature in the future.

For shaders I created some time ago for my project, I just have to see how you will implement the shaders in GD5, eventually I try to modify them and send you my code if it can be useful.

The exact behaviors! my idea is to implement small templates for each style of play (platformer, shooter, beat’em up, rpg) with basic features of course, to simplify the initial phase for each project. But it is something that can be achieved later.

Thanks so much.

is possible add this 3 features if possible
1 offline work without net include execute because not work without internet
2 html export for the html editor
and 3 work in android phones please if have this features will be great because not all have pc will be cool if work in android,thanks

In this post sleeper_service mentioned that GD4 was very slow when working on a larger project.
Is GD5 able to run with WebGL? Could that speed up the scene editor.

4ian, at the link in Wendigo’s post, sleeper_service said he tried opening and previewing very large projects and he had to wait for five minutes because of background compilation. Is the HTML5/JavaScript platform unaffected by that problem? As far as I’m aware, JavaScript is never compiled, so is it immune to the problem mentioned by sleeper_service? That would be great! I became scared when I read his post because my game might become very large after more years of work.

I’m anticipating GDevelop 5.0 stable!

You’re absolutely right, don’t worry about compilation time for HTML5 :slight_smile:

Eh, just saying if you have a bunch of images and sounds to be loaded even the HTML5 preview might take some time for the first time at least. Just saying because some people expect things to start immediately as this is “only a preview”.

What some people don’t realize, the only way you can get immediate results in case of some engines is a WYSIWYG editor as the complete game essentially running in the editor and you are editing the game in real time. The editor of GD is NOT WYSIWYG so better expect some time between pressing preview button and the game start running even in HTML5 and especially in case of native.

Beta 11 is available : compilgames.net

With JS event support (very simple for now, no syntax highlighting - I made it as quickly as possible), copy/cut/paste in project manager, CPU usage reduction in the scene editor.

HTML5/JS is not affected by this problem. The only thing that can happen is when the game becomes large to have to wait for a few more seconds before the preview is launched. This is mostly due to having to copy project images (this could be improved).
If native game support is added later, I’ll try to improve to avoid having background compilation taking too much time and eating all the CPU.

In the current state, HTML5/JS is more adapted to large games than the native platform. :slight_smile:

Yes. Scene editor and the game engine are based on Pixi.js, which is running with WebGL and is the fastest existing 2d renderer with webGL. :smiley:

GD5 fully work without internet connection once it’s installed :slight_smile:

Same, download the full version to have this.

Another question : do you think you would be interested by an automatic service that would be building an android app (.apk) directly from GD5?
I’m considering having a service like this to ease the building of mobile games for new users. Would have a small fee/subscription surely, as there is some infrastructure to set up/maintain but should be no more than a few euros / months.
If you’re not interested, do you think that’s something that would interest other users ? (Knowing that you are still able to export as now, it’s just a service to have a build-in-one-click. Could have the same for desktop export later : the default manual one and an online “one-click” service)

Thanks for your feedbacks :slight_smile:

Personally, I’m not interested in developing a mobile game right now so I would not likely pay a subscription fee for only that.
But if it would be highly optimized to get the possible best device compatibility and performance and it would include a “Player” that we can install on Android and iOS devices and preview our games remotely on the device without need to export/copy/install the game it would be definitely something worth considering if you are developing a mobile game in GDevelop.

But as soon as you introduce a monthly fee you can’t avoid being compared to Construct 3 and to be honest, it is offer a lot for relatively low price. In my opinion you need to go at least 50% below the price of Construct 3 or even more if you plan to offer nothing but a build service to be used with GDevelop.

What Construct 3 also offer that you need to keep in mind when you set the price:
-remote preview

• you can store all your assets and projects in the cloud don’t need to use 3rd party cloud storage
    -you can download the project including all the assets to save it offline or share it outside Construct
    -can build/export directly from the web to any platform including PC and mobile no need install and launch an offline version of the tool and use 3rd party services
    -free signalling server for multiplayer games for users of Construct3 even for commercial purposes

And on the top of this the actual engine also offer that GD does not:
-networking/multiplayer
-dynamic lights
-support for shaders
-sprite blending modes

To mention few things C3 offer for it monthly price

I think it is a good idea but not sure how low you need to go with the pricing to make people pay at least that much it worth maintaining.
To make me subscribe, a build service would be not enough on it own. I would probably subscribe only when I’m about to ready to publish my game to mobile devices and only for that amount of time until it done if there is nothing else offered for the subscription.

I have the feeling you do need to offer something for free in order to get this started. For example you can have a build project for free and if you need more than you need to pay. Or free builds take longer for example and need to pay to remove limits.
I believe this is the only way it could work for you and for us.

Also, PayPal for subscription would be nice. I don’t want to use debit card online.
I have recently looked in to electronic banking to get a top-up card because I want to pay some online courses that don’t accept paypal unfortunately but the fees they charge for every single transactions plus service charge and the fact some of them honestly note that they CAN NOT guarantee the security of you money is ridiculous.
PayPal makes online purchase so much safer and simple on my end. I know it makes things more complicated on your end, but hey, customers are first and always right. Right?

If you don’t offer PayPal you need to offer a lot to convince me to use my debit card to subscribe. I haven’t decided yet on electronic banking, it is just a joke, as I plan to use it mostly on small subscriptions like 10-20 euros here and there, because of the transaction fees it would almost double my annual expenses.

**uck this community.

It is a pretty important decision to make if it worth wasting time and money to set all this up or not.
Even if you are not interested you could share some opinion.

Would you use it Yes:No?
Do you think beginners would use it Yes:No?
If you are interested, how much would you pay for such service?

For God sake.

@4ian
In my opinion you should go for the money in 2018. Maybe less people would use it but what difference would it make?
Make the core free and open but charge a licence fee for the new editor.
I’m willing to pay approx 30 euros for the new editor. You need to make your decision now while the editor is not complete and the parasites don’t have it all.
With C3 require a monthly fee, even a one time payment model could work for GD.

Desktop version → 30 euros
Free for students and contributors (contributors compile for them selves).
Web version free with the option to pay 5 euros monthly to export using the build service.
Also introduce plugins so you can offer new feature in plugins and charge money for each additional feature, also allow people to make and sell their own plugins.
It would make you money while still receive contribution (in hope of making money) WIN-WIN for everybody.
Instant C3 killer if you ask me.

Marry Christmas and a Happy new year.
See you all next year.
2013-12-271.jpg