GDevelop is now open source!

It’s a quite generic name and I do not think it’s necessary to do so. For example, Blender was not renamed to “Open 3D Modeling Studio” :slight_smile:

change the design of the website to reflect change. That way people who have already visited it before will know that there is something new about gamedevelop.

Make an entire section of the website called CONTRIBUTE (not donate).

In it provide ways (links) to contribute:

• Direct link to the source code
  • Instructions how to compile
  • Help section of the forum
  • Paypal donation

DOWNLOAD PAGE
And with all that you coud try ardour’s contribution model:

• Pay what you want to get the latest version precompiled, but still be able to compile it yourself for free.
    ardour.org/

They are an open source project and are making quite a lot of money from their active users. Check out their Downloads page
ardour.org/download.html

You can still get the full version for free. You just have to compile it yourself or get it from a repository- not from the official website.

This is something you could try if you manage to get gamedevelop in the hands of more developers, users and contributors.
It is kind of like the indie humble bundle in a way.

ASSETS PAGE
Other things you could offer to sell in a pay what you want bundle:

• Sound effect packs
  • placeholder Graphics packs

If you supported spriter animations import, you could sell premade animation packs and character maps.
youtube.com/watch?v=NufHCAHrEdw

Create a section of the website for assets, where some assets can be downloaded for pay what you want with a minimum amount. And part of the money goes as a donation to gamedevelop.

These are just some of my ideas on how to make money from open source software.
If you are interested in an assets store, I’d be interested in joining that venture :slight_smile:
I bet you will get more interest from others too.

-Make an official dedicated bug tracker (use git’s?) and put a link to it that is well visible. Right now you are using the forum and that is just not serious.

-Gamedevelop doesnt show in wikipedia google search. Does it have a wikipedia.org page? Is it current or does it need to be updated?

Good idea, I’ll update this section to rename it Contribute.

There is the bug tracker on GitHub. Not sure it should be displayed on the main page though.
Still, bugs should be discussed on the forum before being added to the issues on GitHub to make sure that we deal with real bugs/issues only on this bug tracker.

You can create a page yourself: I tried to setup one page a long time ago, but it was deleted because the moderators feel it wasn’t useful enough.
Now that GD is open source, it should be ok if you create it. :slight_smile:

For the asset/download page, it would be nice, but it’s quite a big project and for now I’m on another project related to Game Develop that should be available soon, I’ll go back to it just after. Concerning paying for download the compiled version, I’m not sure it would popular and I’m not sure it’ll help GD get popular, for now at least.

First I would like to say thank you for making this program. I’ve been looking for quite a while for a program that works in linux, as I’ve been trying hard to leave windows behind for quite awhile( not wanting to buy windows 8). I have spent the last week or so trying to find something that fit my needs, especially being more of an artist than programmer.

As for changing the name, I have tried googling for tutorials and other resources for this program, and unfortunately the generic nature of it makes finding any of these things almost impossible, as google can’t seem to differentiate between the program’s name and game development in general. I don’t have any solid suggestions as to what it could be changed to, perhaps "GDev, or something of that nature?

At any rate, I intend to learn as much as I can about this program and contribute in any way I can. Thanks again.

Drew

Time to learn C++ to customize GD for your needs and fix any possible bugs yourself. :slight_smile: Maybe making a hybrid between Construct Classic and GD by combining the best features of both… Wishful thinking :wink: Not able to do it myself right now. I’m only a beginner.

That’s really incredible news for all software developers, especially for those, specializing in games and all kinds of entertainment. We’ve been waiting for this act but still, it came up abruptly. Thanks for the announcement!

please change the name so it is:

1. less generic/better for google
  2. reflects its rebirth as an open source project
  3. its unique

openGD
OGD
openGameDev
OpenGDevelop

I don’t agree. I think isn’t important. And i love “Game Develop” :imp:

The change of the name was already a topic even suggestions have been asked but 4ian chose to keep Game Develop.
Regarding google it is true. Game Develop is not a “google friendly” name, but it cause problem only when you want to find information about GD on google, but why would you when we have a community here and a wiki?
For new users to find GD through google, all it need to make the website more google friendly (even make a blogspot blog about GD) and use flags to make google find and crawl the site easily for words related to “game development” in general and also to encourages people to write about or at least mention GD and make a link on other sites related to “game development”.

Just put in this query: google.pl/search?q=Game+Dev … 8Qf50IGADg and GD site is on first place.

The program is a really useful. When will we see a new design of the website? Will you add CONTRIBUTE section?

The website is also open-source: github.com/4ian/GDevelop-website

Any help/improvement is very welcome! :smiley: