How to send to a scene based on the text content of a variable?

Hi everyone.

I know that with the Yarn implementation, you can refer to a Yarn node based on the name of a variable stored in an object. Does anyone know if it is possible to send the player to a new scene based on the text content of a variable?

For instance, the variable in a door object might be called DESTINATION and it’s text content might be called “scene3”. I want a command that can send you to the scene called whatever the variable DESTINATION is. In this case it would send you to the scene called “scene3”.

I don’t know if it’s possible but it would be really handy.

I haven’t tested the @blurymind extension yet but maybe you can find more info on this page.
Also this page is not available in menu, we need add link!
http://wiki.compilgames.net/doku.php/gdevelop5/all-features/dialogue-tree

Thanks for the reply. I don’t mean when using Yarn. I just know that the Yarn system uses the feature.

What I want to do is put in a variable on an object some text that names what scene name I want to go to when interacting with the object. Then have one simple piece of code that will read the text in that variable and send you to the scene by that name.

The “go to scene” action seems to need the exact name of the scene. It would be great if it would accept a text variable instead.

Well, it does. Everything that gets a text as input can get a string from a string variable.

That’s what I would have thought. But the blue button that is normally present that allows you to select the variable from the object is not showing. I think I tried to type the address for the variable into the text field but it didn’t work. I’ll try again when I get home.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll post how I go with it.

Thanks arthuro555. It does indeed work. I just needed to add the destination to the variable manually. In the format of:

OBJECT.VariableString(VARIABLE-NAME)

…: where the capitalised words are replaced with the name of the actual OBJECT and VARIABLE NAME. As in my particular case:

enterDoor.VariableString(destination)

may be this thread help you: [Solved] Question about changing scenes. he use value type variable instead of string type, but may be it can help.