Zombie Next Door (a GPT game)

I’ve been playing with integrating Puter JS API with GDevelop to make a 2D clone of that “Suck up!” game where you need to persuade AI to let you inside their home. Here you can see how I was impatient which resulted in door being slammed to my face.

But I got an important piece of info, which is the name of this lady’s son. Here you can see me using another approach where I politely introduce myself and talk her into letting me in. It surely needs more tweaking, but Puter was easy to use so far.

Knowing her and her son’s name makes it easy to talk my way into her house. As I said, it needs more tweaking to make it a bit harder. I’m making a custom PuterJS extension in order to use their JS GPT client.

But that’s not all! I’ve been working on another extension for GDevelop allowing you to: 1) add personality to objects and 2) add multi-sprite object to create different characters. So the game has multiple characters, aware of each other; and of your looks.

Still don’t have name for the game, or the plot. If you have any interesting ideas, I’d appreaciate hearing your suggestions.

3 Likes

I still don’t understand this artificial intelligence integrated into Gdevelop. How does this work? It looks very interesting

Yeah, it’s like ChatGPT (you’ve probably heard of it) but here I’ve created the GDevelop extension which integrates Puter JS, which, among other things, provides free(ish) GPT integration in JavaScript. Here’s how it looks like in GDevelop:

The other extension I’m making for this game is Persona extension which allows two things:

1. add personality to objects like name, age, occupation, … it’s just a list of variables basically which I then use for AI character descriptions
  2. add multi-sprite (multi-layer) custom avatar object where you can create a character from different body/clothing parts

Here’s the character creator I’m making for this game, and an example of how AI then can “see” how your character looks like:

edit: This can also lead to interesting situations when you look just like the person you are talking to:

2 Likes

Looks great!! could be useful to me. I have some questions about it. Is it free to use for commercial projects? Can you shape a “personality” to be less of a help chat and more of a real person?

Once done, both extensions (Puter/GPT and Persona) will be free for everyone to use as they wish. However note that Puter, while free, requires users to login with their site in order to use their api. So when starting the game you’ll see something like this:

But that’s the price of using free GPT api. Any other GPT api would require you as a developer to pay in order to use it. But this extension can pretty easily converted to use different GPT api, if there is ever a need for that.

As for the Puter GPT itself, you can shape it as you wish, but sometimes (rarely) it can slip out of the character. I think it’s great for the price, tho (it’s free)

1 Like

That’s great, good job! I’m waiting to try it!

You can also impersonate other “neighbours” :grinning:

And also, GPT speaks most of the languages:

1 Like

That looks great haha :laughing:

1 Like

How is this project going? Please update, this seems far more convenient that my example.

Sorry for not posting updates, I was busy with other stuff, but I also made some progress!

I pivoted a bit, removed “Skins” section and hard-coded greenish skin so you’re now a zombie trying to get into other ppl houses. I added a total of 9 neighbors, but still have to work on their biographies (back stories) so you can get to know them.

Also added some items your neighbors can drop when you enter their house, and you can use them… well, you can hold them and other neighbors will see that you’re holding them, so it can influence the conversation.

Besides this, I’ve also added:

• voice recognition support, so you can talk to the neighbors for real!
  • (poor) text-to-speech support, so the game can read out aloud what the neighbor is saying
  • since you’re a zombie, the game will randomly add “braaains” to your messages sometimes
  • automatically saving progress
  • past discussion memory (per appearance), meaning if you leave conversation and come back to it, the neighbor will remember you talked before (until you change your appearance)
  • day/night cycle, neighbors are aware of current time and will act differently if you play during the night vs during the day
  • neighbors might be aware of other neighbors missing / acting strange
  • neighbors drop their clothes (when kille… zombified :D) and you can take their clothes and persuade other neighbors that you’re their (zombified) neighbor

What’s missing:

• indoor scene (I have it working, I just need the graphics)
  • sounds
  • polish
  • facial expressions(?)
  • PROFIT! :rofl:

You can try the first version here:

I have completed it :grin:. It is very fun and the artificial intelligence is well applied. Great job!

1 Like

Nice. How long did it take for you to complete it? I know all their little secrets so I can beat all 9 neighbors really quickly :grin:

I’m not sure, but I think around 30 minutes.

1 Like

That’s nice, I thought it would take longer tbh

1 Like

Would/could you make an example on how to implement this?

1 Like

Yes, I have developed a couple of extensions for this game and I will be releasing them as soon as I make some sample projects to show how they can be used (not releasing source of the game)

1 Like