Piskel broken, actual drawing area gone

it looks like this, and i cant get it to stop.

Hey Inusitatus, I hope your projects are all coming together!

So I have had this happen to me on the occasion too. It normally happens when I am using my chromebook and I try to load something piskel struggles with. Waiting for a little bit normally is all it takes. It will sometimes also occur if I am using the online version of the engine and my internet is super slow.

Not saying you’re encountering the same thing, but sometimes I needed to save what I had and restart the GDevelop engine. Of course it doesn’t fix the issue permanently but that also helped me if waiting didn’t work.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along and provide some more ideas to help you here.

Yeah, I restarted Gdevelop, but it still occurs. Now imma try restarting my laptop. Weird that it does this when all im trying to do is create an 8x8 texture, but before I can do anything it goes wonky

Restarting my pc didnt work

While Piskel is bundled with GDevelop, it is not made by the GDevelop team or maintained by them. It is, unfortunately, relatively fragile on some PCs (and as far as I know the main project is abandoned by the maintainers). Generally what will happen is a person’s cache will get corrupted by their Antivirus blocking Piskel from writing to it.

The only fixes I’ve seen work for stuff like this is to wipe your Piskel data:

1. Close all instances of GDevelop.
  2. Navigate to %localappdata%\Piskel (You can put this in the run dialog box when going to Start > Run, and it’ll pull up the folder)
  3. Delete the User Data folder.
  4. Relaunch GDevelop and try again.

If that doesn’t work, then your only real option would just be to use a different art tool.
Some free tools that I personally like:
DpaintJS: GitHub - steffest/DPaint-js: Webbased image editor, modeled after the legendary Deluxe Paint with a focus on retro Amiga file formats: read and write Amiga icon files and IFF ILBM images
Pixelorama: GitHub - Orama-Interactive/Pixelorama: A free & open-source 2D sprite editor, made with the Godot Engine! Available on Windows, Linux, macOS and the Web!
Libresprite: LibreSprite

Thank you for the advice and info, I’ll give it a try!

weird, the piskel folder does not exist for me, at least not in the appdata area, imma look a little deeper.

Ps, i will now submit a request to make the bundled editor libresprite, or at least let you pick the filepath of your preferred editor.

As a heads up: For an app to be bundled it must be a javascript app (or an app that can be bundled into electron).

For this reason Libresprite cannot be included as it isn’t compatible technology.

Ah, ok. Thanks for your help.