Project for MegaconHN 2017 -Releasing November 10th-12th

Damn… I thought I could keep posting daily updates but well I have a few thing to tell you today, first the juicy part: The quasi procedural system is getting more complex :slight_smile: here take a look:

[size=150]The Juicy Part of the Post[/size]

As you can see this is the progress made:

• The Core Structure is finished

• The game gives color to the walls and floor. at the moment it gives the same color to both but it’s totally capable of giving them different if I give Gdev a pool of colors to pick.

-There are decorations on the floor which are random props jajaja just for testing. I enable 2 possible position for each section for now (Later it will create more complex layouts) , it picks one of them and then picks from the 3 possible outcomes. Also there is the possibility of not picking any.

• There are decorations on the walls which is the same stuffs than the ones on the floor but in the walls :stuck_out_tongue:

[size=150]The let’s talk about what’s next part of the Post[/size]

I won’t have the game finished for MegaconHN 2017 just a demo for 1 big and good reason:

I’m pretty close to gain financial support for either Human Pinata or Armony Code. Last Week I presented a 106 pages document basically explaining why investors from my country should bet their money on my games, they reviewed it and sent me this:

• I just blurred my real name *

It’s in Spanish so let me explain what’s on the paper. That document brings a detailed feedback of my 106 pages document and tells me which parts to improve and they gave me a 76/79 score, which is enough to gain access to schedule a pitch presentation with the investors. they gave me 5 days to fix whatever I had to fix and I delivered a 116 pages document yesterday that for sure will rise my score to 79/79.

Tomorrow I’ll be presenting my games to the investors which will give me a score out of 21 (Which are the rest of points that haven’t been evaluated)

After that on December they will make an award ceremony for the 7-8 (It was never clear) that get access to financial support for whatever their project was and I feel I have big chances to be one of those, specially because all the scores from the other people I heard were below mine.

You might be thinking how much will be that financial support I may win, well enough to pay a professional graphic artist that I have been working with for illustrations and also will pay a local musician. By the way is not like they are gonna throw their money into my bank account, they are only telling me, OK give us a form with an argument of why you need what you say you need, 3 possible budgets from 3 different people and how much does that cost and they will pay directly to the artist so in other words it’s a lot of bureaucracy because I have to wait until they approve etc. but hey it’s better than nothing.

So because everything is on the air right now and I invested a lot of time making those documents I will only make a demo for the convention.

And what about if I don’t win the prize? well I’ll deliver the game in January with the resources that I have and look for other options to finally finish human pinata.

Well I have to go back preparing everything for tomorrow so bye 0/

Until Next Time!

Strength do not give up are a great good luck for your game

Holy cow, I can’t think of a single reason why should anyone invest in to any of my projects :astonished:
Could you share a few pages just for inspiration ? :smiling_imp:

Otherwise you must be very lucky, you keep posting and blogging about events of different organisations in your country offering financial support for indie titles (even if the support is just enough to buy an equipment a software or something) and now even that much to hire pros to work on your game. I would like to live in your country :cry:

Thanks for the nice words and support LucaTexas :slight_smile:

@ddabrahim I would love to share general parts of the document but the Chamber of commerce hired Coparmex I believe to made them this template of a business plan so it’s copyrighted but I can tell you what are the basic parts you can work on:

• Explain your idea of the project
  • People that will work on the project and why they are there.
  • Add vision mission and values
  • A market research
  • An analysis of your “Competition”
  • A SWOT analysis
  • A report from when you tested you product (Just put it on Game Jolt for example and the stats they give you and the comments are enough)
  • The legal stuffs that you need to do to make the project happen
  • Budgets, indicators like TIR (Tasa interna de retorno google it I don’t know the translation to english), VAN (Valor Actual Neto), Cash flows (I hope that’s the right translation), And a academic method to calculate the price of the product
  • Documentation of processes of how you do stuffs
  • Add a social flavor to the mix.

I believe those are the big points on it, but I’m currently finishing my Project Management master degree so I have to do my thesis to graduate and I’ll do it on how to do project management of an indie videogame using the Project Management Institute methodology and I have all the rights over it so I’ll share it with you if you want ^_^.

Now I know it sound pretty and everything that “wow big enterprises helping indie developers” but that’s until I add the context, I live in an underdeveloped country where must of people are poor and we lack of jobs opportunities so since the government is broke and can’t give the conditions for a healthy economy they are betting in make people create their own jobs with micro enterprises so I’m competing not against other games for the prize but with restaurants, healthcare apps, manufacturing micro-enterprises, etc. Also It’s pretty hard for me to get financial support from outside (Like a crowdfunding campaign) because we have a serious money laundry and drug dealing problem in the country so everybody that brings USD to the country is suspicious to the eyes of the banks. Also they do not take the best decisions when selecting who they give the money, Last year I participated on Honduras Startup and gave around of $42,000 as “Seed budget” to Rosalila Studio who had their game greenlit (Google it it’s called Flatshot) which is great because it means they take games into account to invest but… their game is great and looks fun but they lack the administrative knowledge or at least training to manage such a complex projects as videogames and people selecting projects goes with the flashier ones even if they may not be viable because of the way they structure them (Not because they are bad, it’s just the way they say they will accomplish them). So far they haven’t launched their game or gave any update. I wasn’t selected at the time because I wasn’t a Steamworks dev (that I’m now by the way thanks to the support of people which I appreciate a lot <3) and they had a more advanced good looking minimalist game but I totally could have managed my small and simple game and put it into the market, they gave me around $850 that I invested on the greenlight campaign for Human Pinata and for legal stuffs. I had to present a very picky and detailed report on how I invested the money too in 1 moth time frame, crazy stuff.

Now the dude’s organizing the events like MegaconHN to show my projects, they are awesome :sunglasses: but I believe developed countries have even more opportunities it’s just that it’s more competitive I guess.

Now don’t think my Country is awful, we have great beaches, and mayas stuffs so take it into account for your next summer vacations jajaja but I doubt you will want to live here jajajaja

Now I’ll use this post to share an small update about yesterday presentation :stuck_out_tongue:

I talked like around 40 min with investors and I answered in a satisfactory all their questions, at the end they congratulated me but, there’s a BIG BUT during the pitch presentation. On the room there was one bank representative, the other guy I don’t know which big enterprise he represented and a representative of the chamber of commerce. This last one (The representative of the chamber of commerce) said that they don;t want the money to be used on professional fees which means I can’t pay artist with it and basically there’s not point of them giving me money if I can’t use it to finish the game. I told them that the art and music are like my input or raw material to make a game (because they only understand about traditional production like in factories) and the banker agreed but the dude from the chamber of commerce said like mmm nop, and they told me they will “Analyze it”. I think they are against the wall and Sword I pretty sure my project has a 97-100 score but they don’t want me to use it in this resources… the 7-8 of December they will make an award ceremony so until then I’ll know if I can finally have budget to finish my game.

If I don’t win and because people close to me saw that making games is viable in my country according my document we are going to make a huge effort to invest and gave quality art and music, so regardless of their decision this or human pinata will be finished but It will way better if i win the prize.

Well sorry for the long post jajajajajaj

until next time!

HI everyone 0/

I’ve been hell busy lately and barely could advance on the game but these last 2 days ohhh boy I made progress jajaja and I’ll gonna show it now just keep in mind a few things:

• I still have Friday to work on the game
  • It’s a no Makeup preview, which means it looks aesthetically bad but it’s 100% functional
  • I’ll work on aesthetics and game design on Friday
  • Water power do not function 100% yet :frowning:. It’s 80% finished I hope I can finish it on time

[size=150]First I added a kind of start screen just to not throw to the game immediately take a look: [/size]

For the purpose of the teaser that I’ll show at MegaconHN the goal of the game is to recover files from the pc before viruses get them and then find the exit (yeah I know… innovation :sunglasses: jajaja sarcasm). Also worth mentioning:

• The folder appears randomly no matter what shape the map has
  • The exit is also randomized
  • Mobs have a better AI (Compared to the one I used for Heavens’s tea party)
  • You can mix your powers as always

But as I told you I need to work on game design because sometimes it happens this:

That’s what I love of this type of games that good game design becomes a challenge.

Also there’s a possibility that mobs appear in hordes from portals and attack massively (because that’s the fun part on these games)

I find that fun, don’t you agree?

But as always you need more than a functional system to make a game, look at this mess:

jajaja well that’s the basic for this teaser, now I’ll go back to fix and balance a little bit the game and give good aesthetics, I have a day to do it.

By the way I have the structure to create better maps, graphically speaking but I don’t have the assets so I think it’s going to be a shame I can’t show on Saturday the potential of my system to create maps :frowning: .

I’ll upload the game on Sunday so you can try it ^_^/

Until next time!

Hi everyone 0/,

It’s Sunday night (for me at least :stuck_out_tongue: ) and as I promised here is the build and a few pics from the event.

[size=150]First is First: The Build[/size]

KEEP IN MIND THAT IT CAN ONLY BE PLAYED USING A CONTROLLER I tried today to quickly support the keyboard adding a OR to the condition but I had some “If the button is not pressed” so for that reason it needed more time to support so for now is controller only.

I uploaded the build in these websites:

[size=150]MegaconHN 2017[/size]

Before everything I wanted to show you something that happened during the event. Since in one of my older post I talked a bit of the problems at my country and blah blah I wanted to show you this pic:

These 2 kids where wondering the event and didn’t had the bracelet that everybody had, at first I thought they were from an ONG that protect children but they were dirty something that kids from this ONGs don’t so I think they somehow passed the security and were into the event.

But my point here is that in the back you can see a healthy mid class boy. This are the day by day contrast in my country and I felt good when I saw these kids playing my game and really enjoying it. It was the one I made for the Jam but they were really into it and judging for the way he tried to use the keyboard I think it was the first time he used one.

Aside from that, here are the rest of the pics from the event:

It always feels great to talked with gamers, get their feedback, talked with other indie developers during the event and people reacted well to it. I know it has a lot to improve like how uncomfortable is to pick the mobs, the aesthetics, glitches, etc. but people liked the idea and really had fun with the jam game (until they get frustrated because it’s a bit difficult jajajaja).

[size=150]The Future of this game?[/size]

At first I wanted to do a small commercial game but because the chamber of commerce rushed the initial schedule and I was having 2 classes at the same time from my master degree and one teacher decided to leave more projects a part from the one on the syllabus I was burned out and worked slowly on the game so it ended up becoming just a prototype for the new quasi procedural system I made that I’ll continue to improve.

For now I have to make a decision. Which project I’ll gonna finish: Human Piñata or Armony Code (This one). I’ll se how people react to it online and if they want to see more about it. if not Human pinata have already proved me that people liked it and since I have a small budget to use in games I’ll have to decide in which one I’ll use it.

The quasi procedural system is going to stay no matter which one I decide to finish so I’ll wait for the chamber of commerce to tell me if they are going to give me one of the 10 prizes or not and in the meanwhile I’ll see how people react online to this prototype and I’ll start planning everything to start working with an artist on January.

I’ll love to hear what you think about this prototype besides the obvious glitches and the obvious improvements it needs in the game design department.

Until Next time!

Good going! Always interesting to see how you’ve been evolved! :smiley:
I think you should focus on Human Pinata game at first.
As you said: People already like it, it’s more complete than Armony Code. I think Armony Code will be great next game! Try to focus on one game at the time! :slight_smile: (I don’t think I am the best dude to say that, but anyway :smiley: :smiley: ).

Hey thanks for checking it out! ^_^/
Yeah you are right I agreed with you Human Pinata should be my priority for 2018 I think I started working on something else because I couldn’t find a good, simple and engaging game mechanics to add to the story and awesome art that the artist working with me made (Also because the lack of financial support). So I started experimenting with something similar to procedural systems and lost the path.

But now with more experience with Gdev, a 4th version of this quasi procedural system and more knowledge on how to structure game projects I’ll focus in only one game.

Depending on the results of the contest of the chamber I’ll focus in one of these 2 most likely Human Pinata.

Thanks for your comments!