Question about filesystem path parameters

In a gdevelop filesystem event, if I enter the path
“C:/example/exmaple.example”
the actual js code that gdevelop will generate will have “C:/example/example.example”, which is whats supposed to happen
however if instead of using a forward slash I use a backslash then weird things happen,
In a filesystem event’s path parameter I enter the path
“C:\example\example.example”
the actual javascript code that gdevelop will generate will have “C:\e\x\a\m\p\l\e\example.example”
So anything in between two backslashes will have each letter seperated by a backslash for some reason, which is kinda odd, I have no idea why this happens.

Below are screenshots of what happens, I use the path “C:\example\example.example” which is not a valid path, but I open the inspect tool when running a preview of my game to see what the path turns into in the error message, since they’ll be an error in the inspect tool’s console cause the path is invalid.

I type “C:/example/example.example” with forward slashes
Untitled%20(18)

I look at the invalid path error message in the inspector tool, it says I typed “C:/example/example.example” which is correct, I did type that, good job gdevelop,
Untitled%20(19)

But now I type “C:\example\example.example” with backslashes
Untitled%20(16)

But in the inspect tool’s error message it says I typed “C:\e\x\a\m\p\l\e\example.example” even though I didn’t type backslashes in between the letters of the word “example”, why?
Untitled%20(17)

The solution is obously to just use forwardslashes instead of backslashes, I’m not sad or angry that this happens, I’m just confused why this happens, its not really annoying or a really bad thing, its just kinda weird, lol

Not a bug, it’s been this way for decades (in computing in general, not GDevelop).

A backslash in Windows path represents a separation between folders. However, everywhere else a backslash is commonly used to escape a character. So for example \t can be used for tab, \n is newline etc. For a bit more, see “Escape Character” in this link

So everywhere else, which includes JavaScript, a forward slash separates folders in a path.

And a bit of background - Why Windows and Javascript use different slashes to separate folders in a path.

1 Like

MrMen is correct. You shouldn’t/can’t use manually typed path. The filesystem expressions are required, especially the path delimiter expression.

Oh, I had thought there was some explanation that I’m too dumb to know, thanks for the info! I am very dumb, have a good day!