The Inferno Gang Platformer (Alpha)

Posted on youtube on 2022-02-10
The Inferno Gang - Vertical Slice 1.0.0 - YouTube

What I have so far:
Basic movement, jump, duck, right click to activate objects, and left click for bullets and aiming.

1 Like

Posted on youtube on 2022-03-10
The Inferno Gang - Vertical Slice 1.0.1 - YouTube

I added

• GUI (health and Inventory)
  • Run mechanic
  • Hazards
  • Hurt Animation and blinking effect
  • Locked Door
  • Unlock Door Item
  • An Inventory Object
  • Draggable object mechanic

Posted on Youtube on 2022-04-10. I forgot to update here
The Inferno Gang - Vertical Slice 0.3.0 - YouTube
A few more assets and polishing and The Inferno Gang will graduate to Alpha stage!

Some changes I made:

• Added a few rough assets*
  • Polished the Pause menu during levels
  • Big Diablo can grab ledges and hoist himself up
  • Big Diablo can freeze enemies - and use them for fast travel!
  • Expanded the level’s area
  • I’m still deciding on what kind of level it will be. For now, I’m creating it as an exploratory level, where you need to solve puzzles and find items. I also like the idea where you could play it like a linear runner, if you get skilled enough at the game.

*For now, all assets are digital, but when the game gets polished, I will hand-draw them to get that 1960s cartoon look.

Play it here on Game Jolt!
(Game Jolt - Games for the love of it)

2022-05-10 Vertical Slice Update

• Changed Shooter Mechanic to Cursor Mechanic
  • Added Slide ability (press D while moving to slide)
  • Added more platforms and more rooms
  • Changed and added cursors so people will know what they can click
  • Added/changed sprite animations

Opening sequence: script done
Maps: Polished Mansion Map

Play it here on Game Jolt! The Inferno Game ALPHA 0.1.0 by The Shade System - Play Online - Game Jolt

I like the graphic style. And it plays quite well, with it’s smooth movements and animations. Well done so far.

1 Like

Thanks, Mr.Men! I really appreciate your feedback!

It looks good so far, keep going :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, Robehickman! :grin:

2022-06-10

New stuff!
Cleaned up the code
More assets
Programmed Chef Molasses
Introduced Hammon the Hitman, Diablo’s younger-but-taller brother
Added mobile controls (only visible on mobile)

Opening scene: rough art in progress

The Inferno Gang Pilot - A 1960s Style #Cartoon #Slapstick #Comedy - YouTube

I made a pilot for the cartoon to help with lore and content! Check it out!

Inferno Game Update will be delayed until tomorrow. Due to the solar storms causing problems with the internet and satellites, I lost a day of progress this week. I tried to make it up today, but I won’t finish until some time tomorrow.

The Inferno Game ALPHA Game Development 1.5.0 - YouTube

The Inferno Game is officially in Alpha! I’m so excited to make it this far! I hope to be able to program a new boss for each update this year! I watched several battles from the original NARUTO series to help me come up with a fun and strategic boss battle! Remember… think Creatively!

Updates:
First Boss Battle with Hammon the Hitman!
Finished dialogue choices and mission set up
Added Checkpoints to a couple of rooms
Polished mobile controls
Created How To Play page

Play on Gamejolt: Game Jolt - Games for the love of it

I know that the name tag for the dialogues are glitching and I hope to have that figured out by next update on the next 10th

No Inferno Game update

I’ve been taking a break and changing some plans for the game. Also, September, October, and November may not have major updates due to job and health matters. I still plan to have the demo’s Alpha finished by the end of this year!

22-09-10 - Inferno Game Lore Update!

Been too busy to work on the mechanics, so I’ve decided to re-organize the lore and reveal a bit about the story.

The Inferno Game ALPHA Level Update - YouTube

These last few weeks were really busy, but I’m happy to say that I made time for level development. This includes types of platforms, puzzles, and a bigger area to explore! It’s not so much that I’m trying to make the game bigger. The overall area hasn’t grown. I plan to use the setting more resourcefully for more fun!

Another thing - I have a couple of surgeries in November, hopefully the last ones for a while, so next update may be simple things, too. With my current progress, I plan on finishing and releasing the next build by March 2023! I want it graduate from Alpha to Beta stage by then. I know that sounds far off, but I need to make sure that I heal well and transition to a new job during this time.

The Inferno Gang ALPHA Game Development Update video

Internet’s been spotty, so I’ve had to update late on here and other sites. It’s my last update, so I tried to do what I could between surgery and job stuff.

The Inferno Gang ALPHA - Area One SPEEDDEV! - YouTube

January’s update video! I’m preparing The Inferno Gang’s 1 year Dev Anniversary video next month. Until then, please enjoy this Speed Development (SpeedDev) video for the Alpha, where I’ll show you the process of making the skeleton for the game’s first area!

Play the Alpha here: Game Jolt - Share your creations

The Inferno Gang is officially in Beta!

As of one year today, The Inferno Gang had gone from Vertical Slice to Alpha to Beta!

You can play it on browser on GameJolt or NewGrounds
The Inferno Game BETA by The Shade System - Play Online - Game Jolt
The Inferno Game BETA 2.5.0 (newgrounds.com)

Updates

• Implemented AAIs (Ambush AI)
  • Implemented RAIs (RunnerAI)
  • Implemented FAIs (FavourAI)
  • Implemented HAIs (Hazard AI)
  • Implemented BAIs (Boss AI)
  • Created separate Rooms and scene transitions
  • Cut the inventory system for now
  • Finalized the linear path of the game
  • Added Storage and Game Over
  • Added Professor Brielle as a tutorial NPC

BETA 2.6.0 Release!

Finally feeling better-ish, so I was able to get a video together.

Play the newest build on browser here:
Gamejolt: Game Jolt - Share your creations

Newgrounds: The Inferno Game BETA 2.6.0

Updates:
Changed the controls
Changed the ability function
Added the GAI
Finalizing the theme song
New GDD

This month was a bit hard. Aside from my health, the game’s health suddenly broke and took over a week to fix (half the time I set aside for game dev stuff in a month).

For anyone wondering how I got the Glider AI to work, you can see my thread on GD’s forums right here: Make an Enemy or Object Move Up and Down (No Extensions!)

I appreciate any and all feedback, so please leave some if you find anything noteworthy about my game!

Ah, crud, I’ve been forgetting to announce updates here.

Long story short, I’m working on another project, getting money for playtesters, and polishing up some stuff, so the game isn’t going to have new releases for awhile. I do want to show some updates now and again, however.

The one I’m showing today is the Morality mechanic to replace the Health mechanic. Basically, you get a game over if you make enough bad decisions. You wanna make good decisions to keep your bar high. If you make too many bad decisions and your bar gets too low, you lose and get the Game Over.

You can still get hurt by hazards and your character’s work staff, but you won’t get a game over if you get hit enough.

OLD:

NEW:

Why make this change?

This is a big change in retrospect, because the player will have to change their approach and I have to change a lot of aspects in the game. However, the Morality mechanic was something I wanted to add from the start. I didn’t go through with it because I wanted the game to be linear and have one ending. With a Morality meter, there’s an expectation to have at least two endings. It’s just been recently that I was able to think up how to install the mechanic that could keep to those plans. If you make too many bad choices, you lose. If you make many good choices, you’ll win.

Why replace the Health?

I don’t want to make this game too complicated. There just needs to be one way to win and one way to lose and that’s all the game really needs.

What are the Good and Bad decisions?

For now, that mainly revolves around the Imp Staff. Diablo can make good decisions by not bothering them or even helping them. He can make bad decisions in the form of bothering them or messing with them. I’d like to think of more ideas to create more variety.

What else does this change?

A few things. One of them is the story. McInnes isn’t missing like what was originally planned, but he’ll be around to monitor and judge Diablo’s actions. The current story is that Jezebelle is up to something and is keeping Diablo out of it, which he can’t stand. Unable to convince Diablo to not get into it, he reluctantly joins to help Diablo find her to figure things out.

Any other changes?

I’ve made a couple more changes, but that’s all I’m comfortable showing right now. Thanks for reading!