Will GDevelop be fully free (without freemium limitations) or Fully Commercial?

I come from construct 2 myself, so fully understand your frustration with a rent the software approach.

But you need to understand that if we want Gdevelop to be a sustainable project, we need to find a way to fund it.
The way these builds work require paying for a server cost and the limitation is there to prevent gdevelop’s community from overloading that server while keeping its bandwidth cost manageable.

As I see it gdevelop is a vastly better deal than construct3, as it doesnt limit how many events you can use and you can fully create a complete game free of charge. It doesnt lock you out with a paywall from your own projects.

As to builds- if you think about it,you do not need to make loads of builds every day as you develop your game. That is what playtesting is for. You change stuff, you playtest - not build.

Once you finally have a game - that when you build/release it.
Do you ever see yourself making and releasing more than two builds on itch.io/other website in a single day?

Remember that if a whole lot of people use that service and it exceeds what we can afford to pay for its bandwidth, nobody will be able to use it. We are merely trying to keep it running for everyone, so this limitation is needed atm. That is at least until we figure some ways to fund gdevelop in a sustainable way, which doesnt alienate its own community the way construct did.

Godot is nice and is powerful, but does not give a damn about an event sheet approach. Believe me, I treid convincing its core devs to try event sheets and they dismissed it for blueprints. They could not see the value of the event sheets.
I personally hate blueprints visual programming - you can very quickly end up with a spaghetti mess which is extremely hard to follow

6 Likes

Now gdevelop become freemium they limit the event and many other features… IM so sad… Anyone know the best version of gdevelop that still have no limitation

Gdevelop become like Construct greedy and more greedy … Almost everything must subscribe to more… Bruh it can develop fast because community now they make it subscription… the sad thing free version now just have 40 bar event limit… wow… Great play… Ima uninstall it

The desktop-app is free to use without limitations in the events etc. There are restrictions for services that use server-resources and thus cost money (e.g. the automatic game builds etc.). You can publish your game manually. There is a guide in the documentation and youtube tutorials.

1 Like

There appears to be some confusion, none of this post is correct, unless you mean the mobile app?

The mobile app is a separate fork of the main engine, made explicitly for subscribers (and only made possible by funding from subscribers). It isnt “Gdevelop on mobile” but a separate release “GDevelop mobile” and has always been a separate subscriber benefit.

Everything else remains as it was in the original info above. The engine and all functionality within it is open source and free.

Anything dealing with the GDevelop.io online services, such as the external online build server or online leaderboards, is not part of that free/open source capability.

Nothing has changed on any of that in all these years.

1 Like