[Almost solved] Android build not working

I made a game and tried to export it for an Android APK. But there is a error message (check below) it has something to do with the splash screen. I’ve tried exporting it on mobile pc and website, but none of them worked. It is a cloud game if it helps. I’m posting it here because I might think this is a bug

Build log text:

Error: Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

• What went wrong:
    Execution failed for task ‘:app:processReleaseResources’.

A failure occurred while executing com.android.build.gradle.internal.res.LinkApplicationAndroidResourcesTask$TaskAction
Android resource linking failed
ERROR:/worker/app-41ef8d6c-bfc9-4e5c-88b4-0d4246b170be/platforms/android/app/build/intermediates/incremental/release/mergeReleaseResources/merged.dir/values/values.xml:1704: AAPT: error: style attribute ‘attr/windowSplashScreenBrandingImage (aka panda.studios.blockstorm:attr/windowSplashScreenBrandingImage)’ not found.

• Try:

Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace.
Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.
Run with --scan to get full insights.

BUILD FAILED in 48s
Command failed with exit code 1: /worker/app-41ef8d6c-bfc9-4e5c-88b4-0d4246b170be/platforms/android/gradlew cdvBuildRelease -b /worker/app-41ef8d6c-bfc9-4e5c-88b4-0d4246b170be/platforms/android/build.gradle

i get an error when creating my android apk, this is what it is in the buildlog:
Error: Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

• What went wrong:
    Execution failed for task ‘:app:processReleaseResources’.

A failure occurred while executing com.android.build.gradle.internal.res.LinkApplicationAndroidResourcesTask$TaskAction
Android resource linking failed
ERROR:/worker/app-1f8e997f-2083-48d9-b4ab-3d49d4cc6fee/platforms/android/app/build/intermediates/incremental/release/mergeReleaseResources/merged.dir/values/values.xml:1704: AAPT: error: style attribute ‘attr/windowSplashScreenBrandingImage (aka panda.studios.blockstorm:attr/windowSplashScreenBrandingImage)’ not found.

• Try:

Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace.
Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.
Run with --scan to get full insights.

BUILD FAILED in 47s
Command failed with exit code 1: /worker/app-1f8e997f-2083-48d9-b4ab-3d49d4cc6fee/platforms/android/gradlew cdvBuildRelease -b /worker/app-1f8e997f-2083-48d9-b4ab-3d49d4cc6fee/platforms/android/build.gradle

can someone please help

I’m having the same problem. Have you solved yours yet?

1 Like

Yes, you need to check in recources and see if there are any corrupted files or weird names, I noticed it when there was one sprite showing up where it needs to be empty

Did that, replaced every icons and thumbnails, even reverted the splash screen back to GDevelop logo and water mark. Still gave me an error

1 Like

Have you updated the engine? And check for corrupted names / file extensions

How do you know if the file name/extension is corrupted?
The game works fine in preview, and I can build to Web, Desktop, and Manual with no problem. only APK gave error.

The engine and my operating system is up to date.

1 Like

It’s very obvious, you just need to look for a very different one, it’s hard to explain. You can also find it easily if you see a certain sprite everywhere. If this doesn’t work I can’t help you further I think. Then it needs to get fixed by the gdevelop team

1 Like

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. In the mean time, I’ll try to look further.

1 Like

Just curious… what kind of file/folder names are invalid (can’t be used)?

1 Like

Aan far as I know you can use a lot, like PNG, jpg webp etc (I’m not sure)

Hey, my build works! so basically there were some overlaps files (old files and new files under the same name). Though the source of the old files already deleted, but somehow under the menu “Resources” they still detected it with missing icons.
The old files directory were under directory “Resources folder” and the new files are under “assets” folder.

Once i cleared all the double files from “Resources” menu, build completed.

Thanks again! I really appreciate your help.

Cheers!

1 Like

To add context: The game engine does not know nor care about your project folder’s subfolders or content.

It only cares about what is in the resources panel. Meaning if you move a file directly in your folder, and not in the engine, you break your project links. Likewise, anything you intend to remove has to be removed out of the resources panel. (This also means that files deleted out of the game project in-engine are not deleted from the folder, which is pretty standard in game engines to avoid data loss).

1 Like