Blue Quest (Android)

Hi,

Blue Quest is a retro style Android game inspired by old classics like Crystal Quest and XQuest.
Collect all the blue crystals before passing the gate to the next level, watch out for all the enemies.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.renfors.bluequestlite

This game requires a fairly fast CPU and is preferably played on a device with a fairly large display. Test the free Lite version first.

If you like it, please, give it a good rating. Thanks!

Also, I would like to thank the GDevelop team for making such an excellent piece of free software. I have some more ideas (not just games) where i believe that GDevelop might be handy.

/Anton

Very cool game. I like the retro look. Also the sensitivity option was a nice touch :slight_smile:

i tried it on my Nexus 7 (2012) and it lags a bit, what do you consider as “strong cpu” ?

Also the apps ask for strange permission : microphone ?

It’s almost perfectly smooth when I’m running it on Xperia Z Ultra but when I try it with slower devices, it becomes totally useless. I’ve tried to do as much optimization as i could, excluding things from the game-loop when they aren’t used and use timers for collision detection, etc. It seems to be related to how many objects there are on the screen, it works fine in the beginning of a level but starts lagging when the number of enemies increase.

The permission-list is a mystery to me as well, I’ve tried to remove as many plug-ins as i could in the XDK, the game won’t start if i don’t have all these things included from some reason.

About code optimization : you should try to switch the mode of the game from HTML5 to native, just the time to use the performance monitoring.

With it you can easily see what are the events wich take the most of the time in render. So even if native and html 5 have nothing common, i think it could be good way to see where you can workaround.

I have a huge project, really huge project in native (the gdg file is about 8Mb), i had no real performance issues but in less of one hour with performance monitoring i was able to divide by 10 the time taken by events for final render. Just by identifying “bad while” loop or event that i can only “trigger once”.

Even if the pixi.js render have nothing to deal with the SFML render, optimize your code more and more can only help.

Also did you used Crosswalk mode with intel XDK ?

Yes, i used crosswalk. I had to enter extra code to get sound without crosswalk and it was slower as well.

Couldn’t get it to compile as native, it seems that i’ve got change the way i handle arrays. Will get back when i fixed this.

I’ve turned it in to a web game instead, a Core i5 can run it without lagging :slight_smile:
CHECK OUT: http://www.renfors.org/bluequest/
Feel free to like: https://www.facebook.com/bluequestgame

I think that the lagging on most mobile devices is a result of to many moving sprites, panoration and to much collision detection. Wasn’t able to compile as native but i’ve sort of ruled out any overly cpu-consuming logic by testing to eliminate parts of the game loop.

For better performance try CocoonJS:
ludei.com/

When you export your project from CocoonJS, choose Canvas+ instead of Webview or Webview+.
Canvas+ gives you almost native performance on mobile devices.

But there should be serious problem in your game anyway as it lags time to time even on my desktop PC having quad core CPU, 8GB RAM and 1GB graphics.
If not your logic and optimization cause it, maybe an extension (maybe physics) but CocoonJS and Canvas+ should improve the performance on mobile devices anyway.

It runs perfectly smooth on my laptop, do you have something else running in another tab?

Yes, few other tabs are open. It not that serious ‘game breaking’ lag, just freeze for a sec sometime.
It running smooth overall, but I would not expect freezes in any case playing such game.

I noticed that some of my sound and graphic files were really large so i compressed them. The new android-version works better, tested on a phone that isn’t very high-end.

play.google.com/store/apps/deta … bluequest2