Finally making my dream rogue like game

Hi,

So after nearly 20 games jams I am ready to tackle my biggest project. I am a big fan of rogue-likes, in particularly 20 mins till dawn. I have a small team of excellent artists and sound and coders, so we are really going to test ourselves and make a game at a commercial level for want of a better term.

We have created an initial game design document and a spreadsheet covering playtesting of games and highlighting what we like and don’t like, and started the progression tree.

I have created an initial playable demo, just focussing on the game feel first. I want the game’s development to be player-centric, not over-scope features that may or may not be wanted. All art is placeholders for now we are still working on the story and the art style.

We welcome all feedback, playtesters, and anyone who has made a large game, and wants to share experience, we are all hobbyists so learning all the time.

Game

GDD

Hey, checked it out and left you official feedback! I hadn’t checked out your design document before I did a quick playtest, that looks awesome please keep at it!

Awesome thank you very much.

Just an update. Probably like some of you who can code but have no artistic talent, you enter a project and charge ahead, but when it comes time to make it nice and juicy, you hit a wall. This has happened to many of my game jam entries. I did some research and found that the Vampire Survivors developer used an asset pack. So that’s what I am going to do. I found one I like, so I will build the game and theme/story around it. As the game and interest grow, I reckon it will be easy for my artist and musician associates to add value. It’s always hard to ask them at the start when there’s no real prototype. So should be some cool changes ahead.

What id say is, try adding a background or try to improve the UI of the starting scene. UX is really important.

hi, can I know how you handle the continuous spawning of enemies?

Great job so far !

• I like the shooting sound effects.
  • Enemies stacking (overlapping) is not a good idea.
  • Player movement speed decrease so much when i shoot, makes things much harder, which is cool but maybe make him a lil faster.

The game feels good so far :muscle:

You can also check out my Roguelite template as well if you got stuck somewhere while making this awesome game !

Hi, happy to share. I have two spawners. One for a bump at the start of the game, just to create more yetis. Then the normal one. I use a sprite, transparent for the spawn grid. Keeps yetis inside boundaries. And I make sure none spawn next to the player.

Thanks I bought your template just as I was finishing, just to see if I missed anything or could learn more. You are really good at your special effects. I used your boid movement idea initially, but it ended up with the player just being able to run circles around enemies. My discord is under Limitelssrunner I should really merge the names :slight_smile:

Yes, enemies overlapping I forgot to fix, good spotting. The player movement when shooting initially was to increase difficulty earlier, which means you have to upgrade to run and gun early. I didn’t realise how hard balancing is with difficulty and upgrades.

1 Like