Game crashes with segmentation fault error

All issues are fixed with the gdevelop from github you gave me in your last post. I will upload the tar packages of built gdevelop soon!

Nice to see that all those random crashes have been solved. :smiley:
I’ll see if we can release a new version of GDevelop with 4ian (the main dev of GDevelop). We may need to do some other changes to allow GDevelop to be built with a custom version of the problematic library.

One issue I found.
After a couple of previews(start preview, stop preview)
GDevelop pops up with a message that it cant find its internal compiler?
Also, the previewing isn’t instant, it takes some time, the Compiling logo is on the screen before the preview starts.

EDIT: the thingy with waiting a bit before the preview starts seems to be fixed, as I put all the libwx libs into the /opt/gdevelop/ folder. One more thing. It seems tha GDevelop uses like 20% of my CPU constantly. Not sure if that is how it is, or a bug. Also pretty sure it has a memory leak, as it is using up all my available memory. Also when I compile my game and run it it is spammed with this: pastebin.com/NMEZn2L6
That happens to all games for me.

Not related at all. If your game is a native one, then it’s normal that you may have to wait to preview the game.
GDevelop also use some CPU power when showing a scene (when editing it or even previewing it), so it’s normal if GDevelop consumes a bit of CPU.

But for memory? 5 minutes ago it was using 2 GB of my RAM doing nothing!(no projects were opened)
And the time before that, it crashed my computer. My PC just froze and I had to force shut it off.

This is a bug of your GPU driver, probably causing the memory leak too. Not related to GDevelop directly (I mean, GDevelop uses the OpenGL implementation available, if you have an integrated Intel GPU, it will use it. Unfortunately, if it’s buggy, can’t do anything about it).

Im going to try to update my graphics drivers and see if that works!

Nope, Updating drivers doesn’t work. The memory leak still appears while preview-ing

Still this is a bug in the drivers. Search for the log displayed in the console, it seems they are working on a fix for a next version of the drivers.

Hmm okay. I am currently Using Oibaf open graphics drivers, didnt try to run GD on xorg-edgers.
Imma just wait for Intel to release Official drivers for 16.04.
Also this thing bothers me in the console:
(GDIDE:28150): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_size_request: assertion ‘width >= -1’ failed
Does that have anything to do with anything?

No, these are just warning. :wink:

So, I reinstalled my whole Linux partition today, and every single bug was fixed, in the current version from the launchpad.
Still memory leaks with the fixed version of wxwidgets. Also, now I am also able to run the compiled GDevelop for Arch, the one with the fixed wxwidgets you sent way back.
Really strange that a reinstall fixed everything…
There was probably a problem with the libs, maybe they we’re corrupted or something.

Hm, I’m getting these segmentation fault crashes on preview too now, after doing a fresh Ubuntu 14.04 install.

With the downloadable build I’m getting:

Loading compiled code...
Loaded compiled code0x29c2c90
0x26f1508<-
[Thread 0x7fff7fde5700 (LWP 11110) exited]
[New Thread 0x7fff7fde5700 (LWP 11130)]
[Thread 0x7fff7fde5700 (LWP 11130) exited]
[New Thread 0x7fff7fde5700 (LWP 11131)]
[New Thread 0x7fff7f5e4700 (LWP 11132)]

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00007ffff66df978 in wxGenericTreeCtrl::Delete(wxTreeItemId const&) ()
   from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwx_gtk2u_core-3.0.so.0
(gdb) 

When building GD-4.0.94 from the git repository I still get crashes on preview, now showing:

/home/stefan/Downloads/GD-4.0.94/Binaries/Output/Release_Linux/StartGDevelop.sh: line 11: 19658 Segmentation fault (core dumped) GDK_BACKEND=x11 ./GDIDE

And when trying the fixed version from dropbox I can’t launch it because of

So far I found no way to install that package.

Wondering if all this is related to the recent driver problems under Ubuntu. I’m using X.org X server - AMD/ATI display wrapper (open source). I can’t switch to fglrx proprietary ADM drivers without breaking my OS (tried the whole day). Is this something that can be fixed by mingling with GD or do I need to wait for a driver update/find a workouround/ get a new mashine?

Ubuntu 14.04
AMD A4-4020 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics × 2
Gallium 0.4 on AMD ARUBA (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.6.0)
64-bit

Are you using the lastest release of GDevelop ?

Try to do this: [Linux] GDevelop crashes **after** modifying events

Yes I’m using 4.0.94. Problem persists even with MALLOC_CHECK_=1 (crashing after a couple of seconds in preview mode):

/home/stefan/GD-4.0.94/Binaries/Output/Release_Linux/StartGDevelop.sh: line 11: 3803 Segmentation fault (core dumped) GDK_BACKEND=x11 MALLOC_CHECK_=1 ./GDIDE

Can you see me your game ?

Sure I sent you a pm.

[code]And when trying the fixed version from dropbox I can’t launch it because of
[Your Image]

So far I found no way to install that package.

Wondering if all this is related to the recent driver problems under Ubuntu. I’m using X.org X server - AMD/ATI display wrapper (open source). I can’t switch to fglrx proprietary ADM drivers without breaking my OS (tried the whole day). Is this something that can be fixed by mingling with GD or do I need to wait for a driver update/find a workouround/ get a new mashine?[/code]

this error is caused by a missing library. You can search in the folder of GDevelop for that lib, and place it in the same folder as GDIDE. Or redownload the full release and place all the libs from there into that folder.
As for me, I switched to Godot Engine. Learning the scripting language was much easier in there, and the community is great there.
I just thought I would stop by, and see whats up!
Bye

The libary doesn’t exist, neither in the older fixed build, nor in the current release. I also couldn’t find it online so far, or at least the ones I found did not work.

I’m not so hot on switching engine, since I’d lose a lot of progress that way. :confused:

I was able to install proprietary AMD/ATI drivers in a 32 bits Ubuntu 14.04 in the past, and recently in a 32 bits 15.10. In any 64 bits installation the proprietary drivers broke the whole display system, making it unable to render on screen, forced to “fix” through console and use 2D desktops (as gnome-session-fallback)…
Maybe the problem was the limited machine RAM (only 2 Gb), as it is an old but dear machine (not sure if that sentence is ok), anyway it will be updated soon and I will be able to check that out :slight_smile:

PS: It’s a shame that fglrx drivers are not available on Ubuntu 16, my Radeon HD 5450 is almost useless in a new Ubuntu now… GD has nothing to do here :frowning: