Game Testing: Lost in Dimensions

Would it be cool if anyone tested this game i’m working on? I mainly want feedback of the graphics as no music has been made for the game yet.

Thank you.

1 Like

It looks nice, i like the contrast between the “night” vibe of the scenario and the bright character :slight_smile:

It reminds me of Pac-Man, you know, how the level has dark blue walls but then the character are bright and colorful, i really like that look

Hi. I feel that the graphics look “okay”, but that they might look a little flat. This problem can usually be solved by 3D Lighting, and in some cases, by adding Effects (shaders). Another option is simply using the Filters of an image editing program to apply detail and lighting to the actual sprites.

So here’s the three things I might improve…

The main character might need some greater form of lighting so that it looks more rounded and less flat.

With the background, a little adjusting to the pink pixel(s) need to be done to make them not look like just noise. There are at least a couple of ways of doing this. One is making the color of the pink stand out more with a lighter shade of pink color. Another is slightly varying more the shades of pink of the different pink pixels.

Lastly, with the blue tiles… I feel this isn’t as large a problem, but they might need a little more lighting or texture variation.

Other than that, it looks like a fun game. I like the little eye animations of the main character. The actual broader use of colors, and the brightness and contrast, look good. Feel free to take my suggestions, or not take them, as you please.

Thanks for the feedback. I should point out that all of the graphics where made in piskel, except for the player character, who I made in Aseprite, which explains why the sprites look flat, as piskel does have inferior tools. I do plan on re-doing the graphics of Aseprite, so it would be easier for me to add more details. As for the player, Although he’s not the most detailed, he certainly looks better now, than in his previous sprite (which was made in piskel) .

Idle
Player Sprite (Old)

Idle - Copy
Player Sprite (New)

1 Like

I was thinking something kind of like this as a rough example for the character lighting:

testing

Though my lighting around one of the eyes isn’t perfect, and I’d keep the black outline around the eyes (which I didn’t do for this example.)

I think the graphic is fine, I’m not sure if the main character is a ball or not, If it is I think make it roll when you are moving might feel great.

Honestly, character lighting wasn’t really an option for me, but this still looks pretty cool. Maybe I can use that for some of the backgrounds.