GDevelop 4/5 Differences and Importing GD4 to GD5 and Slope Climbs

Hello,

First, apologies if this is the wrong subforum, I’m not used to the change.

Anyways, I’ve been using GDevelop since 2015, and I have stuck with GD4 because I have been working on a huge project and didn’t want to start over by swapping to GD5. Since the new forums came out, I’m having some trouble finding old topics (if they are still saved anywhere) and am looking for a list of differences between the engines (I think there was one before). Is there any list somewhere that can help guide me?

My main goal is to swap to GD5 for the features that GD4 lacks (being export options primarily) but I desperately need some of the native extensions such as lights and particles. Last time I checked, it lacked a bunch of old features but could at least import a json native file, so I can load my game but I cannot have my old existing extensions work.

One final small question: is there any way I can make slopes work with a platform player (ex. changed angle platform object, player climbs perfectly)? I found in newer versions past 2016 this breaks, and I don’t know why. I’ve tried disabling ledge grab and increasing max angle, but no success

Hi,
I don’t know if there’s such a thread that compares GD4 and GD5, but I think all the old topics are still there.
There are particles in GD5, but I don’t think there are lighting options at the moment.

Regarding angled platforms, you can go to the Showcase section and check out the project called “not-a-vania” by @Silver-Streak

As far as slopes, the way I did it was: Make a flat platform object (red box). Stretch it horizontally to the width you need (roughly). Then use the angle setting on the object to rotate it to match the slope you want. Set it to the platform behavior. Then at the start of the scene, set that object’s opacity to 0.

Basically, I made my levels in tiled, and did all of my collision objects/platforms as separate objects. This allowed me to more rapidly make the level, as well as tweak collision as needed rather than it being 1:1 to the image itself.

1 Like