GDevelop Linux

Just have VM with 32bit ubuntu on your 64bit Ubuntu and problem solved. We already need to have Linux vm if we want to compile for that system and have Windows, what’s the problem with havin both 64bit and 32bit vm?

It takes time to recompile Game Develop (About 45 minutes on my Ubuntu VM + The time to copy the files + The time testing that they is not major bugs) and even currently with “only” two versions to generate I usually spend a large part of an evening shipping a new version (I must compile it on Windows, ensure the french translation is up to date, launch the script to generate the archive/installer/the SDK, launch the script copying the files on the Ubuntu VM, compile GD, make a few test, launch the script making the package, then upload the 2 windows files, upload the ubuntu package, upload the SDK, update the changelog, create the subjects announcing the new version, mark the new version on the github repositories, upload a file on the server so that GD announce that a new version is available).
And as an extra bonus, I usually have to regenerate the installer or a package because I notice a bug I didn’t saw before :slight_smile:

I do not want to spend extra time for Ubuntu 32bits because i think it does not worth it: I would have to spend at least one hour to recompile/upload the 32bit package each time I want to ship a new version of GD and I do not think the number of potential 32bits Ubuntu user is large enough (Unfortunately!).

So I prefer to work on the 64bits version only because 64bits is the future and GD must work flawlessly on it. And remember that it is one of the only game creator software available on Ubuntu :slight_smile:

Problem is, most Linux out there are used on old computers, too limited to run on Windows or Mac. Meaning single-core/dual-core CPU with low-entry graphic card and under 1 GB of RAM. Most of them don’t fare well with 64Bits OS.
Light-weight client is the future of Linux, where it can strive without competing with DRM-filled softwares.

I don’t use VM, I prefer booting on an USB Key (made with Linux Live USB). But even with the full computing power at disposal, GD is a lot slower than in Windows environment. Tried on Linux Mint 16 xcfe 64Bit, on a Celeron D 4 GB: export goes well (less than two hours), but the game is insanely slow, while the process stays under the 14% of proc resources, and pictures don’t appear at all.

While I understand your constraints of time, going full x64 might just limits your number of Linux users at the end. If a linux version cannot run on a 8 years old computer, then it’s useless. Anyway, this issue is unresolvable in your current state. You need a dedicated team of compilers to do the menial job, while you keep enhancing your software.

it’s true that linux has replaced windows xp on a lot of old workstations and laptops. However there are still a lot of linux users on 64 bit machines and I would argue that based on statistics- the 64 bit users are much much more than the 32 bit users.

In any case I just wanted to drop a BIG THANK YOU to the 4ian for creating and working on this wonderful piece of software! :slight_smile:
Please keep up the awesome job. More people must learn about this engine and for that to happen people have to actually make more than just demos.

Please make your engine available on STEAM for windows and linux.
If you put it on steam greenlight, I will vote for it.
They dont have a voting deadline, so there is no pressure.

Maybe I could try to use kickstarter or another fund raising website to pay the steam fee.

indiegogo is quite popular as well.
synfig for example has been getting 1000$ every month in funds to implement promissed new features.
The highest bidders get to vote on what the developer works on next.

I love what this has to offer, I think for me though one of the key reasons I signed up to the forum was because I saw the support for Linux… I haven’t read this thread completely yet, but I see there may be issues with it on Linux?? I know the early posts are from a long while back now though.

Also, if this got on Steam it would very likely help it get out there, specially with it being free and all :smiley: I think the user base would dramatically increase, I only mention this from one of the replies above :stuck_out_tongue:

– Patrick

The Steam fee isn’t all that expensive from what I’ve heard, if anything you could start private fund raising on the site and the community you already have would likely donate small portions towards the cause to get it on Steam :stuck_out_tongue:

– Patrick

I think you can charge people for it on steam. It’s enough to make it cheaper than the competition + the fact it has low competition on linux.
Put it a price of like 5 $, people will buy it :smiley:

You can offer to give access to the newest beta version to all people who bought the license for 5 bucks. and the others will get one version lower - the stable one, but with a few features less.

This model would work even if the engine was completely open source,as a lot of non-developer users (especially windows and mac users) find it difficult to compile software.

Another good example is Ardour. They charge you 1$ to download their open source software nicely packaged and compiled.
ardour.org/download.html
However the open source nature of it allows them to share the complete source code for free. Doing their model requires you to set up an easy online payment system. Paypal should be an option for sure. From what I’ve seen Ardour makes ALOT of money with this model.

So you can actually do both- for those who dont wanna spend a dollar every time a new version comes out- buy it on steam.
For those who don’t wanna spend five bucks, but dont mind spending a dollar, get it for a dollar or less. Micro transactions add up when you get a lot of downloads for every version.
For those who don’t have money or want to spend- get it for free, but it is not the bleeding edge stuff. Or (if open source) to get the bleeding edge stuff- compile it yourself.

And of course having the ability to offer steam keys and complete access to the newest version as an award can be extremely beneficial in a funding campaign.

Of course that might piss off everyone here on the forum :laughing:
But it is another idea from the box of ideas.

I should become a marketing guy. My head is full of fantasies involving making profit.

Price tag on steam would be good enough. People who bought engine on Steam would get access to Steam Workshop for asset sharing (scenes, graphics, sound, etc.). Anyone who doesn’t need it would be still able to download free version from here.

I suppose that a good strategy would be to introduce these things gradually and not all at once. So you can study how they work out individually.

You don’t have to include a price tag in order to be a successful game development tool. I personally came to this software for two reasons.

1.) Its open source and 100% free.
2.) Linux support.

You just need to advertise and market it right, maybe add certain assets like game templates for a small fee, things like this would look better than dumping it on steam with a small price tag :stuck_out_tongue: at least, in my opinion. I’m likely to support this application as much as I can solely because it’s open source.

It is not open source :stuck_out_tongue:
The plugin sdk is open source.

But If the engine was open source instead of just free, would you be more likely to make a small donation once in a while? :slight_smile:
If you were a developer, would you be more interested in contributing to it?
Or a one time payment in steam?

That is what I want to know.

I am more than willing, but the problem is I don;t have money for donations :frowning:. But if I will have, I’d buy it instantly.

The Ardour guys ask you to donate 1$ when you download a compiled package of their open source software from their website.
However a compiled packaged version already is available at ubuntu’s repository.

So they don’t really force it. They require it when you download from their website.
Something has to pay for the bandwidth :unamused:

If you made a game, which is being sold for android/ios with it, and it makes a profit- you would 100% fund the engine.
But how do you package an html5 file and put it at the google store?

Do we even have automatisms to control multitouch displays/gyroscope/etc

Agreed. That’s why I’m saying that I would donate if I’d have money to do it (I’m really poor, working for minimum wage at McDonald’s). And I am all for asking $5 or so for steam release if we would get things that only Steam provides such as Workshop integration (it would be great for sharing assets such as game templates, sprites, music, etc.).

CocoonJS

Gyroscope/accelerometer I think not (unless 4ian is cooking something in his coding kitchen), but mouse events translate into touch events (dunno if they work with multitouch though).

That then seems to be the biggest obstacle at the moment between gamedevelop and the possibility of a commercial game.
Does 4ian have a tablet or a smarphone to test such automatism out?

Oh, I thought that it was open source… Either way, its free and that counts for a lot… I think if it was open source I would be more enticed to make a donation.

I am confident enough to call myself a developer, I have yet to develop anything with Game Devlop, but once I did. I would happily donate. I can honestly say that I can see myself donating to the software and its continued development sometime soon, I don’t have a lot of money but I always try to donate to things when and where I can, specially if I was to make any money while using the free software.

I will reply with more soon I need to reinstall my OS :\

Maybe you start with coding extensions for GD? GD badly need those and there aren’t much of them besides bundled ones and victor’s. Extensions for adding additional music formats such as modules would be great, I’d also would want some kind of tweening extension (would tween value of specific variable over specific amount of time from one value to another).

Been away for a few months and now I find that GD will not be developed for Linux32Bits anymore? :frowning:

Sadly I must stick with the 32 version for a while yet, no money to buy the ram necessary to run a 64bit OS without hitchs. :cry:

So I’ll see if I still have the old file from my previous install (Had to change HDDs) and stick to it.

Just one comment though:

Most other software like GD is still actively supporting 32bit OS (Stencyl, Game-Editor, GameMaker, Construct2, Enigma-LateralGM and others), are you sure you want to take this route?