GDevelop needs demos with better graphics

When it comes to graphics GDevelop does not have a lot to offer at the moment.
You can change opacity and global color of sprites and that’s about it.
Most visually advanced games are using shaders, normal maps, specular maps, lights and advanced rendering Technics like blending sprites and subtracting one sprite from an other…etc GDevelop do not offer anything like that.
The rendering engine GDevelop is using (Pixi.js) do support all this features but it have been not exposed to us, we can not utilise these advanced graphics features of Pixi.js.
If you know how to code, it is possible to tap in to the rendering engine and play around with it but you need to know JavaScript and need to be very familiar with Pixi.js.

So, if you need any advanced graphics features, GDevelop got not much to offer. Of course you can make nice, detailed and polished graphics but that’s got nothing to do with the engine, it is just art.

1 Like

I think a game like a clone of geometry dash would be great, because this game is incredibly fun and seems very easy to implement. The graphics and visual effects are very simple but amazing and the entire game is beautiful.

2 Likes

Exactly, that is the idea, to make all we can with software like Gimp. I know GDevelop is very basic on rendering, that is pretty obvious, but it needs better artists that makes better graphic (with gimp for example) and bringing to GDevelop. The whole idea is to show better demos with better graphics to make the software more attractive so more people will ask for improvements and the developer of GDevelop will improve.
But geometry dash its very simple graphically i think something more fancy like hollow knight for example

that would be awesome

1 Like

This is far from perfect but here is my attempt, started it last month:

3 Likes

your work is awesome

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:
I really appreciate it

1 Like