General Save and Load Template ("9" Types)

Whether you plan to save with global variables, scene variables, or saving instances…, and then choosing whether to go with GDevelop Storage or with the File System, I had made a template that should show you, generally, on how it would look like.

Template: GDevelop General Save/Load

The template includes:

I will update this post later one with more documentation and explanations.

GDevelop Storage
Global Variables
Scene Variables
Object Instances (Write)
Object Instances > Global Variables
Object Instances > Scene Variables

File System
Global Variables
Scene Variables
Object Instances > Global Variables
Object Instances > Scene Variables

Disclaimer: The template is saving and loading the x/y of objects and of instances. You should not use this template verbatim but as a example of what types of conditions or actions to use when starting a save system.

Examples to not use this template verbatim:

• If you want to save and load Score, Coin counters, Clicker-type variables
    More often then not, you do not need to transfer variable values to other variables so therefore, you can skip a couple of steps of this template.
  • If you want to save Yarn Dialogue
    This template is not entirely irrelevant as the principles still apply but you’d benefit more on using another template of mine: GDevelop Save/Load Yarn Dialogue and How To: GDevelop Save/Load Yarn Dialogue
  • etc…

Like I said, do not use this verbatim but as a guide. It will help you more if you see it this way ;D

Tip: It is always good to make a structure variable and store all the variables you want to save into it early on. As I like to say, if you even consider making a save system, always plan for it.

More resources:

GDevelop Storage Wiki: Storage actions - GDevelop documentation
GDevelop Save/Load Intermediate: Saving & Loading (Storage) - Intermediate Tutorial - GDevelop - YouTube
GDevelop Save/Load Advanced: Saving & Loading (Storage) - Advanced Tutorial - GDevelop - YouTube

GDevelop File System Wiki: File system - GDevelop documentation
GDevelop File System Expressions: Expressions reference - GDevelop documentation
GDevelop Save/Load Instances Template: GDevelop 5

4 Likes