[GSoC 2020] Tile map objects

Hi, GDevelop community!
I am Pradyumn Pottapatri from IIIT Gwalior, MP, India and this will be my first attempt to both GSoC and Open source community. I’m interested in working with the ‘Tilemap objects’ as it is one of the most important aspects of any game engine or IDE. I am a game developer and develop games with Unity for now.

I have a few questions regarding the project:

1. Can I please know who will be the mentor(s) for this project? I have seen some cards on Trello that @blurymind is working on it.
  2. Only Javascript is mentioned as the stack for the project. Can I know whether I need to learn React and other components as I don’t know much about React. I’m familiar with Node and Javascript in general and just have to work on it as I learnt it quite a time ago.
  3. Will my contributions to the community be counted to my candidature after I have submitted the proposal?

(PS: I am sorry that I am contacting this late. Couldn’t find a way how to chat as Discord channel didn’t allow me to send messages)

Thanks, @4ian!

Can I please know who will be the mentor(s) for this project? I have seen some cards on Trello that @blurymind is working on it.

I’ll be mentoring all projects, @blurymind and @bouh will help too.

Only Javascript is mentioned as the stack for the project. Can I know whether I need to learn React and other components as I don’t know much about React. I’m familiar with Node and Javascript in general and just have to work on it as I learnt it quite a time ago.

React is less important for this project.

Will my contributions to the community be counted to my candidature after I have submitted the proposal?

Yes :slight_smile:

Couldn’t find a way how to chat as Discord channel didn’t allow me to send messages

Read the rules shown in the channel :wink:

1 Like

Isn’t blurymind already doing tile maps?

Yes, I recommend reading: Support for Tilemaps objects (tilesets and Tiled files) · Issue #503 · 4ian/GDevelop · GitHub
If there is a proposal for this, this should rather be about improving what will be already done :slight_smile:

I understand it’s a bit unclear, so if you want certainty maybe take a look at other projects - though Tilemap is really interesting and the most asked feature!

2 Likes

Blurymind is currently working on an implementation of importing Tiledmap tmx map files. A good enhancement to that would be allowing for editing the tilemap within the GDevelop IDE. Just an idea. :smiley:

2 Likes

I have been observing the cards on Trello and it seems @blurymind is almost at the end of the production for Tilemap objects. Should I continue with my proposal? I already sent a draft proposal for two projects, so it’s possible, can you see them so I can improve and submit it as soon as possible?

Thanks in advance, @4ian

You can submit two proposals. Tilemap is indeed started already so I would recommend only doing a proposal if you’re very familiar with the subject :slight_smile: