Handle multiple collision masks independently

In my opinion, we should treat multiple collision masks of a sprite independently, imagine if you could do something like give a name to each individual mask and use a new condition to check if the collision occurred with that specific collision mask, instead of using many useless sprites just to act as several collision masks?

Note, there would be 2 different collision conditions, one to check if the collision has occurred in all masks (the current one), and another to check if a specific collision mask has collided another object.

17 Likes

I thought about this these days when I was trying to float an ice cube in my game! The collision mask that served at one point in the code was not appropriate for another moment and I had to create a new object to serve as the second collision mask.

I liked this solution. It doesn’t break the old games. :+1:

2 Likes

I would like to see this get added

1 Like

To add to this, It would be nice if we can make certain collision boxes “Non-Collideable” if we need them for hitbox detection without causing the “Teleport through Object” bug lol.

this is my main issue with GDevelop I would absolutely love to see this feature.

to add to this you could call to them by saying something like, obj_name.collision_mask for is you were trying to change a variable with the mask outside of collisions.
this would also be helpful with for example attacking because you could make a swinging sword animation for a player and then make a mask over the sword and only have that be the collision.

I’m going to link this in my request, cause it could be used to create many diferent systems of custom collison masks

This feature would be incredibly useful; I recently had an issue that I could have solved immediately with it!

1 Like