How can we create free multiplayer games for free with just 1 lobby?

Hi good morning everyone, Gdevelop says that we can create multiplayer games for free, but we only have access to 1 lobby in the free plan, even if we create a multiplayer game, many users would be left out of our games due to the fact that they can only create 1 lobby, and I believe that many do not have the money to sign a plan.

Before you read what is below i just want to point out i am on your side
But also let’s be fair here hence what is below

I would be more interested in what number of lobbies you would propose to be given for free plan
So that ppl would still be willing to pay for subscription
Yet not making free limit as penalization for free users

1 Like

For your base question, there are numerous methods of building Multiplayer functionality using the engine for free.

• The GDevelop.io built multiplayer lobby system is available for free, but like all GDevelop.io services (not GDevelop engine functionality), is rate limited in some way for free accounts, and more functionality is available for paid accounts. Whether a different tier of the GDevelop.io lobby functionality is worth the cost is up to you.
  • The THNK framework is a decent alternative (IMO) that will let you build out your own logic in a simplified manner using events. (https://thnk.cloud/)
  • You can fully custom build out your own methods using network P2P call events, something like MQTT, or integrating a javascript library to enable other solutions.
1 Like

I heard that there will be ads on gdevelop, instead of limiting creation to a single lobby that completely limits the game of other players, I believe that with the integration of ads the company could earn and there could be plans for players not to appear advertisements when playing gdevelop games.

Hi, thanks for explaining. I tried to develop games using the THNK and P2P systems, but I encountered many difficulties, as these methods are much more complex than creating multiplayer games using the standard GDevelop multiplayer system. It would be very useful if GDevelop allowed the creation of multiple lobbies in its standard system, instead of limiting it to just a single lobby. This would greatly facilitate the development of multiplayer games and improve the experience for developers and players.

I’m not sure I understand your statement as it seems unrelated to the information I provided above.

To be clear, the GDevelop.io multiplayer system and events do allow for multiple lobbies.

You just have to be a paid subscriber for more than 1 lobby. If you find that valuable then you have to pay for it. If you don’t find it worth the cost then you don’t have to pay for it, and can build out your own logic using the other options, which are the fully free methods available in the engine. Both scenarios are unrelated to “facilitating development” as they’re actively existing systems in the engine and available to you today.

These are unrelated concepts. The upcoming ads are for games hosted on gd.games, and the developer (you) can opt in/out as desired. It doesn’t have anything to do with your players getting more out of it. The ads will involve profit sharing for the developer (you), or eventually the option for GDevelop coins if you want them instead.

1 Like

I think you miss the point how much you get from someone viewing add in your game

I would assume ppl could buy additional lobbies with credits in the future
But whatever
There never be fair split between how many you should have for free if more lobbies are given when you have paid subscription

Since that would vary from game to game
And how many ppl would play it at once and is your game free or not

Problem is for free you most likely be satisfied with as many lobbies so that you don’t need to pay for subscription (and by you i don’t mean YOU but any developer making multiplayer game)
So it creates kinda paradox

I doubt there ever be perfect solution to satisfy free users while not making paying for subscription not worth it

1 Like

sorry, I guess I couldn’t explain it well “What I meant was that given the presence of ads, it would be beneficial for the company to offer more lobbies. This would attract more players, leading to greater exposure to GDevelop’s integrated ads.”

Another thing, I believe that many people chose gdevelop because of the ease of creating their games without needing to know much about programming, I discovered gdevelop through videos where you could easily create multiplayer games, but all the people who create their multiplayer games on In the standard way, you are forced to hire a plan, as many will not have the knowledge to be able to create in THNK or p2p and no one will want to have a multiplayer game where only 1 lobby is available in the free plan.

My intention is not to seem rude, but I think gdevelop could improve the free plan for its developers.

No worries, I’m not seeing any rudeness. I just didn’t understand what you were asking. For your specific question, it is extremely unlikely they’re going to increase what they offer for free of the GDevelop.io services, especially around the lobby system.

Although I hope they maybe open it up to letting you use the events with your own custom built lobby services at some point.

1 Like

It would be amazing to have this feature, it’s something I really want.