How long does it take to learn GDevelop?

Hi everyone
how much should we give to learn basics of Gdevelop
How much time should we spent on it in a day if we are doing it just for fun
How should I learn Gdevelop
fast , slow or moderate

I know this was a stupid question almost and everyone’s answer will differ :sweat_smile:
I think you will say that ,it depends on me ( depends on my learning speed and capability)
But still I want to know your views… :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

You have already answered your question. Everyone is different. If you do something for fun, you decide how long you want to do that. For getting good in something you need to do it regularly.

As mentioned by @L_e_m_o_n_T_e_a it is a good idea to start with the given learning resources. I would definitely recommend to do the first three tutorials here GDevelop 5 tutorials [GDevelop wiki]. They will teach you all the basics you need for making your own game. And then you should just start to do something.

2 Likes

ok ( twenty characters)

It took me about 2 months to gain basic experience. I suggest that every time you make a game, try to “expand”, using more techniques.

The success of learning any program lies in its constant use. Therefore, I would suggest you the following procedure (I usually stick to it if I’m learning a new tool):

1. study and implementation of training materials (they were written about above), as a reinforcement: try to expand the game with new details;
  2. creating (copying) a simple existing game. This will allow you not to invent mechanics, but to implement it yourself without step-by-step tutorials. Again, try to develop this mechanic, add details;
  3. development, prototyping of own games, mechanic.

The main thing is practice!
In time, it all depends on your interest and free time. Completing the tutorials can take 1 day or 3 days. The main thing is to understand what you are doing.
Good luck! =)

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for giving suggestions. :smile:

Of course it is subjective but here are my thoughts on this in general.

If you have prior experience with other game engines and game making, you can learn the basics in 5 hours and then you are good to go.

If you have no experience but you are very good at problem solving and logical thinking, you can learn the basics in 50 hours before you can go for an adventure and do staff that nobody have ever done before. If you want to do something very specific that most people do like a side scroller, platformer you can learn how to do that in less time if you are using behaviours and templates. After you have learned the basics, you may need some extra time to learn/discover good practices, work arounds for common limitations and optimisation and to get really good at it.

If you have no experience and you are not very good at problem solving, you are more of the creative/designer type, then obviously depends on how limited your are, it could take years to learn. I recommend to start with focusing on level editor, level design, get to know the different object types, the project structure, scenes, external layouts, behaviors, how to import objects, how to make scenes, UI, animations, play audio, check user input, that sort of things. At the beginning, I don’t recommend to focus too much on events, logic and to learn how to do custom staff that nobody have ever done before. Instead go with the flow, use whatever behaviours, templates and examples available. Even with a tool like GDevelop, allow at least 1-2 years for your self to get familiar with it and all the concepts, tools before you can go for an adventure.

1 Like

Thank you so much everyone. I have been using GDevelop from last 2-3 months… and getting familiar with it…(somewhat)
Thank you for your suggestions :slightly_smiling_face:
:smiley: