I hit a bump with GDevelop...

GDevelop is awesome… I even managed to make an isometric game with it (Version 4) that turned out better than I hoped… You can play it here if you wish to check it out… So far you can go to the artemis temple (the one to the left with the bow) and there you will enter a procedurally generated labyrinth where you must find the bow icon to return…

meviportal.mygamesonline.org/isometric/11/

The problem with it is the number of sprites… For the playable character alone I had to create almost 700 sprites for all 8 directions and while I enjoyed the process I found out that I can’t submit it as a web game in itch.io since there is a limit of 500 files for web games…

I could make it an executable or use electron or even upload it as a zip for for download on itch.io but this kind of defeats the purose of me wanting to make web games…

I tried GD5 on my mac but I couldnt figure out if this version supports spritesheets which is what I am here asking you…

Spritesheets is being discussed here: https://trello.com/c/dmElE214/103-support-for-spritesheet-textures-ie-image-resources-that-share-the-same-file
Please comment the itch.io limitation there, that’s another point for the feature :slight_smile:

Regarding itch, did you try to contact support team about you need more space?
Just try it and see what they are going to say they might let you upload more for that single project. But I would wait until you finish the game so you have a “final” number of files and they may be more likely make exceptions with a finished game. Or they might just tell you a price to pay for more files to upload.

Regarding animations, do you have separated animations for walking with sword and walking with bow.etc?
In that case you may be able to reduce the number of animations by having only a walking animation without any equipment and add, animate equipment to fit animation in-game.
Create custom points on each animation frame for sword, shield bow and attach the equipment to the points.
Or you can also use math if you need it to be more flexible. Take a look at the “Pin object to another” example to see how it can be done.

Also with the animations did you take in to account your game going to run only 30-60 FPS? So it doesn’t really make sense to have so many frames for any animations since your game going to update max 60 times a second but in general better to optimize games for 30 to save battery and also people with less powerful hardware less noticeable if they run the game at 20. With 30 FPS you need only 180 frames for 8 direction animation which you can reduce even further, don’t need to go crazy about the animation count unless you have a lot of details to show. But you art seems very simplistic, not a lot of detail. It should be fine to calculate with 30 FPS and max 20 frames for any animation 120 for 8 direction plus the trick with points and math I mentioned above where necessary.

I could probably save a few frames but not more than that… I animate at about 12 FPS (0.085sec) and I don’t have any duplicate frames… I even reuse frames when I have to… The dash for example is the second moving image… However since I wanted a three combo attack with the sword and different running animations for each weapon you can’t go much lower than that…

Anyway I have given up on the game for now, I just wanted to see if there was a spritesheet option in gd5…

I guess the real solution would be support for Spriter or similar :frowning:
Sprite sheet also seems very ifi 4ian don’t seem to be convinced it really worth the effort :imp:

Or no isometric games at all… To be honest I kind of expected such an outcome… It is just that the engine was not built for that and i dont think i have seen another isometric game from gdevelop… I could adapt the game idea in a platfomer or beatem up style (since I already have made the 3d models it would be another render pass, ie 88 frames) and take it from there… It would even perform better…

Well, it is not about isometric games rather the amount of detail you want to put in to. 700 animations for a single character is a lot :neutral_face:

I did also hit the very same wall with my attempt on an isometrick game in GD. My solution was to switch to a 3D engine instead and try to work on less ambitious projects in GD :wink:

Maybe it is for my case, but it isn’t in general… Considering 8 directional and a minimum 4 animations of 8 frames each (that is moving, attack 1, attack 2 and jumping) you have a minimum of 8x4x8 = 256 files for one character alone… And I am going really simple here… Then you have to take into account the enemies that will each require a different frame for each direction… Again if you take it even simpler with 2 frames for moving and 4 frames for attack you still have 64 frames for a simple enemy… So the 500 limit of itch.io is rather restricting to 3 enemies and one main character…