Mental health and how do you motivate yourself?

Hello. Heart on sleeve: I have bad depression, and have had for many years. That means that often I feel very flat and nothing brings me joy. Even the things that I am passionate about sometimes feel completely flat, like today while I work on my prototype. It’s horrible, like being a robot, robbed of pleasure. Tomorrow could be completely different; I never know how I’m going to be from one day to the next. A few days ago I was working on a YouTube video and I was on cloud 9 - so happy while I worked on it. Even if nobody looked at it, I thought, it doesn’t matter because I’m enjoying making it. Then yesterday (and today), I am a zombie again.

I was wondering how do you motivate yourself to work on your project even if you’re not feeling good?

2 Likes

I like to motivate myself by doing different things. Exercising, walking, and eating healthy are the most important parts of keeping a mental balance. Whenever I feel like I’m losing my focus or motivation, I tend to lift some weights or go for a walk (get those endorphines pumping through your veins).

I also don’t try to push myself too hard. Currently, I haven’t worked on my project for 2 weeks because I felt like I was losing motivation, and pushing myself through that won’t fix anything. It’s like when you go into a cave and try to push yourself through a small hole while it feels like you won’t fit, eventually you will get stuck. Take a step back and find a different way to reach your goal.

We all know a melancholic day, but depression is a different beast. I wish you the best of luck!

2 Likes

I haven’t experienced depression (or at least don’t think I have), so I’m not in any position to comment on that side. However, I wish you well dealing with it (if that is even possible).

But for the motivation side of things - I have a couple projects on the go, so if I tire of one, I’ll work on another. If that doesn’t do it for me, I’ll blob out on YouTube videos and whatever rabbit hole that opens up, read a book or play games. Just anything that’s not to do with that particular project.

2 Likes

For depression I believe it is very important to seek a professional. That would not only help you with your projects, but with all your life.

About stay motivated, I’m usually always motivated, because I chose a project that I really like. Sometimes I get too lazy to start it on the day, because I know of laborious things that I didn’t finish before, but after start I can take it well.

1 Like

Hi Jason. If I don’t feel like working on a game project or any other hobby project then I just don’t do it. No matter how small/trivial or big/important something is, I want to enjoy doing it and do a good job. So, for me, I like to ‘save’ projects until I want to work on them.

I also find it very important to my wellbeing to spend time in nature, whether it’s at the beach or amongst trees. In fact there’s a thing that started in Japan called tree bathing which is focussed on walking, but I find a long slow bike ride in a tree area is also very beneficial.

If I’m feeling down, I try to be kind to myself. This means I give myself a break and say it’s okay to be completely unproductive as it’s what I need right now. So I ‘save’ the nature rides and project work for when I’m feeling good and will enjoy doing those things.

2 Likes

Thank you for the nice replies and suggestions.

2 Likes

It also happens to me sometimes. I go out to run, or tell it to a trustable friend. For me, it helps a lot, but don’t keep it to yourself, the more you do it, the more you’ll fell bad

2 Likes

On my low days, I often resort to micro-tasks; it’s amazing what a simple checklist can do to give a sense of accomplishment. Remember, progress, no matter how small, is still progress.

When I was in my “depression” phase, I took the step to get psychological testing in NYC. The doctor clarified that I was physically healthy but dealing with stress and anxiety. He provided several pointers:

1. Mindfulness Meditation: Spending even just 10 minutes a day, focusing on my breathing and being in the moment significantly reduced my anxiety.
  2. Journaling: Putting my thoughts on paper helped me process my emotions, making them less overwhelming.
  3. Exercise: It doesn’t have to be intense; simple activities like a 20-minute walk or stretching exercises make a difference.
  4. Setting boundaries: Learning to say no and ensuring I had ‘me’ time.
3 Likes

For me, motivation is a tricky dance. Some days, I rely on routine – breaking things into small, manageable tasks. Other times, it’s about embracing the ebb and flow. If I’m not feeling my project, I don’t force it. Instead, I might switch gears and do something totally different. It could be a walk, a random hobby, or even just binge-watching a comfort show. I think the key is acknowledging those tough days without judgment. It’s okay not to be on top of your game every day. And hey, about those HHC Gummies from https://www.trythecbd.com – I haven’t tried them, but if they work for you, that’s awesome! Everyone’s journey is unique, and finding what helps is a personal adventure.

1 Like

It’s nice that this topic still gets added to sometimes. I had forgotten I wrote it.

Your techniques for managing motivation sound like what I try to do these days. I try to break things up into small tasks too, or just say to myself “I’ll do 30 minutes work, and then I can stop if I’m not feeling it”. Sometimes I stop at 30 minutes, but sometimes I look at the clock and 2 hours have gone by. I find it’s important to stay connected to my project and not let too long go by without doing something on it, even if I just load it up and look at my events. If I don’t work on my project for a few weeks I find it tough to remember why I designed things a certain way or even how some things work. The longer the break the more intimidating it can feel to go back.

I find it useful to write notes where I explain how my events work as if I am explaining it to someone who doesn’t know my game. Then if I have to take a few weeks off, I can read the notes and get back into things again.

Just getting away from the screen and going for a walk can transform my mood. Sometimes while I walk I suddenly realise how to fix something I was stuck on, or I have an idea for a new feature.