Naming Collisions

I want the ability to name collisions.

Lets say I want 3 collision masks, two for colliding with walls, and the other one for taking damage. I name two of the collision mask, “WallCollision” and the other one, “Damage”
In Gdevelop right now, you would have to have a separate object for each collision you want. that’s not fun, and that’s not fast. But with my proposition, it still isn’t fun, but it is much more bearable, and fast.

There would be 2 new events for collisions now.

Collision name 1:
Test the collision between two objects depending on the main objects collision name.

Collision name 2:
Test the collision between two objects depending on both objects collision names.

3 Likes

This also makes sense for fighting games, I once used a game engine called fighter Maker and there you could add as many collision masks as you needed, there were various types(not necessary for GDevelop, because the name of the collision mask would be enough) and the collisions could exists for defined periods of time, for example you could add various *hitboxes just for health in case you wanted to give a character “weak spots”, or move the hitbox for doing damage along with the fists and contact points of the attack, in that program the functons of each type of hitbox where predefined and colour coded but that made sense because the engine was for one specific type of game.

This could alternatively be worked around by using childs of a prefab as hitboxes, if my request was accepted, so I’ll link this request on that post.

1 Like

Reminder folks, it is important to search before posting a feature request before making your own thread.

Ensure you’re following the processes from Luni here: ⭐ Welcome to the User Feedback channel!

Which includes searching before posting.

For this request, it’s pretty much the same as the one here:Handle multiple collision masks independently

1 Like