Platformer questions

So to save forum space, I’ll just gather up all my questions into one thread for now.

[code] SOLVED1) So first, I’d like to ask if there’s a better way to pause the game(and if there is, how) than the current one I have implemented:

event:

I have tried disabling automatism and animation on Player but it still doesn’t seem to work :([/code]

1. I’ve seen a thread about this but I don’t seem to understand how to do it and I don’t want to necro the old thread. Here it my question… How do I set my camera so that even if the game window is 1280x720, the camera is still sized to 800x600 following the player so it doesn’t see further than 800x600 but the game window is still size in 1280x720. Is this possible?
*SOLVED*3) This seems like a very simple thing but it's not. Jump fall damage. How do I how fast the player is falling? I know there's a thing about max fall speed but I don't see a way to know the CURRENT fall speed of playerObject. I've seen one in Physics automatism about playerObject.Physics::LinearVelocityY() but when I tried to compare to a number, it never seems to come true no matter how small the number(even one) and I also don't like using Physics automatism since I'm already using the platformer object automatism.
  1. Finally, the lighting. So I have set a global light and stuff and it works great BUT my only problem is with multiple lights and lightblocker. How do I make it so that the the global light is not affected by lightblocker? See, the setting I’m trying to achieve is that the player is inside a dungeon where it is normally dark but not completely black black then I want some spots(like lamps and whatnot) to provide light and those are the only lights I want to have a light blocker on. Is this possible?

I just wanna thank you guys in advance. I do hope I get some answers. :slight_smile:

The condition “If all the conditions are true” is useless, just put all conditions together inside the event, this is already the default behavior.

Haha yeap you’re right! Thanks for noticing :slight_smile:

I have solved 2/4 of my problems. I solved number 3 by completely switching to Physics automatism and not using platformer automatism anymore. Makes everything twice as hard to implement but it’s worth it since I can customize more stuff like Player.Physics::LinearVelocityY() for fall damage :laughing:

I’m still trying to solve numbers 2 and 4. If nothing else, I really wanna know how to do number 2. I desperately need help with number 2.

Check this :wink: :
CameraSize.zip (2.7 KB)
1- In the Layer Editor, select your layer, then select the camera, and set the camera size.
or 2- Use the action: “Layers and cameras ==> Modify the size of a camera”

Note: If the game’s window and the camera (through the camera’s render zone) haven’t the same proportion, the render will be stretched, as in the example :slight_smile:

Not useless. When you need something like ((A) or ((B) and (C))), you’ll find that useful. Though in Glaydur’s case, it isn’t needed. But it isn’t useless.

In that case it’s useless.

Ahh thank you very much good sir! One more burden out of my shoulder. See, I decided to ditch platformber object altogether and I’ve been using physics automatism now. This has given me quite a lot of new problems like IDK how to determine if player is falling. I don’t think there’s a built in condition to check if Player.Physics::LinearVelocityY() is increasing or decreasing so I have to figure it out :cry:

You can store the old LinearVelocityY inside a variable and compare it with the current one to see if the player is falling.

How do I get the old linearVelocity though? Does it have something to do with time condition? Cause right now, I have an action that assigns Player.Physics::LinearVelocityY() to a variable called previousLV then I check if previousLV is greater/lesser than Player.Physics::LinearVelocityY() but I’m assuming they’re equal.

I have also tried setting previousLV = Player.Physics::LinearVelocityY() - 1 but with no luck still… :blush:

First, you compare the old LinearVelocity (inside the variable) with the current one, then, you assign the current LinearVelocity to the variable.

Sorry, I must be inept or something but I still don’t get it :frowning:

You have to compare BEFORE assigning the current velocity to the variable.

This is bit off-topic, but what screen capture software are you using that saves to GIF?

lol damn I actually didn’t have to do any of that. I just had to see if Player.Physics::LinearVelocityY() was negative or positive :wink: Here it is solved with the nice animations:

I’ll send you a PM with the link :slight_smile:

I’m also interested, could you post it here (or in the Open topic forum, as you wish) :slight_smile:

Here ya go

http://www.forum.compilgames.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5400