[Released] Stepping Stone Jack

My GDevelop game, Stepping Stone Jack: Director’s Cut, is now released!

Gd.games page where there’s a demo:

Itch.io page:

3 Likes

Thays pretty awesome man!

Why not upload what you have to start getting some feedback on the game? Id love it give it a try! :smiley:

…also… you might wanna get on adding sound effects, it might seem like a quick thing to do, but getting it just right might take you quite a while :stuck_out_tongue:

Not to mention it makes a world of difference!

1 Like

@MagicBiscuit - I agree that sound effects can make a world of difference!

I might upload it soon. It’ll probably be a version without sound effects yet, that I upload.

One thing I’m kind of deciding on is about getting GDevelop Gold because I thought I read that there’s a limit to the amount of feedback the creator can receive each day in the game portal if you don’t have it.

But I’m sure with enough thinking things through, I’ll get all the little technical details worked out. :blush:

I’m not making any guarantees yet, but I have a little list of “goals” for the game, and I think I’ll add “Having a build of it uploaded by next week” on my list of goals. The game seems to be playing pretty well when I tried it, but one thing I still want to do is playtest a little more first - which shouldn’t take too terribly long.

I also plan to kind of actively update this thread with the latest news on development - I said that it was a dev log, so I feel it makes sense to provide routine news updates on it and development.

Thanks for the post. :blush:

Im almost certain you dont need a subscription for the feedback.

You can always get it to support GDevelop and dedicated discord channel, that part is good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool.

Well. The game is ready for a test run.

There’s a slight visual-related bug at the end of level 8-3 that I plan to have fixed in the next upload. If you encounter it, just play the game like you would normally until it advances you to the next level. I’ll probably upload the small correction to it tonight. Edit: I think I uploaded a fix.

I just played your game and it seems like a solid platformer :slight_smile:

You seem to really enjoy making the shadow effects, but without much interacting the loose the shine, try giving Jack a torch! …so that when he gets closer to dark places it lights up his path, should be fairly simple to add in and it will look pretty awesome.

1 Like

This is going exceptionally! I only noticed that the A button which shoots the carrot has a fairly lengthy cooldown of 2 seconds or so, I’m probably heavily biased but it seems a wee bit too long, like it feels a little too sluggish when waiting to shoot the large bunny enemies, though it’s probably just me haha. It it’s intended though to stop spam-shooting then ignore this haha!

To be fair though it’s all come together very well! I reeeally like your use of lighting, found meself just admiring it while I was hopping around haha. I really dig the large pink bunnies too, they’re awesome. When I get more time I’ll try n’ get through more levels!

I mirror too what MagicBiscuit mentions about the light too - if he has a light source, perhaps even in certain worlds/levels to keep it fresh, could add a whole new dimension to it! Noticed that the turtle has a moving light on him, that’s wicked! Keep it up!

2 Likes

@MagicBiscuit @Ulqiuo

Thanks. I love the suggestions & feedback both of you have on the game.

I’ve been doing some new things on the game, and will update as I add new features and development gets a bit further along.

2 Likes

New update at same page.

-Added sound effects for some of the actions
-Added light which follows.

2 Likes

Looking good :slight_smile: Keep it up!

1 Like

Excellent to see bud! Just left some proper feedback via the game page, took me this long to realise that’s possible haha! Apologies in advance!

Looking forward to seeing where this is going!

1 Like

Hey,

Just wanted to say that I’ve received an enormous amount of feedback on the game through Gd.Games and elsewhere. This game has reached nearly 1000 plays, and it’s been an enlightening experience.

This game is now done with the “Dev Log” and “Soft launch” stages, and based upon feedback and statistics, is going for a hard launch. This hard launch will be toward the end of the month, and more information about it and the date is available on my itch.io page in the OP.

@MagicBiscuit and @Ulqiuo - I wanted to thank you both for the great feedback and I feel it’s really helped the game. I’d love for you both to get to try the full release of my game. So please let me know if you’d like a free full version copy upon release, and I’ll try to get that to you.

And to others, get ready (or not) for…

jacimage

Will the full release go well? Lettuce see!

2 Likes

Ah mate that’s bloody brilliant! Huge congrats on hitting the end-game, seriously that’s an achievement and a half bud!

I’d love a copy to have a good gander n’ give more feedback if you’re still looking for more, I can be quite meticulous when I get five minutes haha, but to be fair I don’t mind supportin’ a fellow dev too - I’ll check when it’s released for sure!

Loving the lettuce pun also!

1 Like

Update: Game is now released, and ahead of schedule…

In regards to this release… It’s been quite the ride, and I couldn’t have done it without everyone. If left to my own devices, I’d have made a near endless number of levels without focusing on improving the baseline mechanics as much.

Hey,

This game is now on release 1.1.0, and I’m excited to say that a few more levels were added to the full version. The new levels are among my personal favorites.

As for the demo to the game, it can still be played by following the Gd.games link.

As for the sequel to the game (I showed footage of this game recently), it may not actually come very soon unfortunately, but the existing game is still being updated. For the sequel though, I plan to use GDevelop again, which will ensure consistency between games.

As for game development in general, GDevelop is still on my list of favorite tools, and is a tool I will use for some of my larger projects.

Other notable mentions:

The Gd.games page for the game is quickly reaching 2,000 plays, and I’m quite grateful.