[SOLVED] Collectibles (Star coin-esqe) system

(Note: Everything is already in an external scene, I just trimmed that part off)

Wow, so efficient, optimal, and convenient! That takes care of the first problem, now I can reuse this code for ALL of my levels! Thanks ^^

Now for the next part: Saving the data across scenes. Notice that in the GIF, when I go to a new scene, the collectibles I collected are no longer stored and disappear from the status bar. Is there any way to save them in their slots, like with global variables or something?

Note: We won’t get into saving the game for now. I assume that I can just save global variables in the data and load them in.

During the game you can keep track of progress with global variables, but if you want to keep track of progress even when you close the game, then use these commands to save the data and then reload it when you return to play. They also work on the android system

1 Like

No, I don’t mean save the whole game, I mean how to do the global variables

You use Global variables just like scene variables. The only difference is you create them at the project level (Project tab > Game Settings > Global Variables) and refer to them with GlobalVariable() and GlobalVariableString().

If you want a particular bit of data saved from each scene, then one way is to create the global variable for it and then adding a child variable for it with the scene as it’s name.

Something like

1 Like

Ah, I understand.
However, I feel like I need to go a step further and add extra child variables for each of the other collectibles as well so that they’re stored individually (You know, like if a player gets two in a level, but misses one). So I added these child variables (The 1, 2, and 3 represent each collectible):

I added some code to try and add the variables when the items are collected. The plan is to make it so if the global variable for the collectible is = 1, then the collectible becomes a transparent silhouette when revisiting the scene (Different animation in this case). In this transparent state, the collectible will not add to the total when recollected (I didn’t put that code quite yet, I want to make sure this works first). Here’s the new code:

Nothing happens though. I tried this in the debugger, and the global variables aren’t even incrementing like I want them to. Is the way I concatenated my code incorrect? And also, do I even need all of those extra child variables to do this?

try reading this post for dynamic child variables

To sum Salvatore’s response, I think the way to access your variable structure is with

collectiblesObtained["level"+ collectible.StringVariable(levelid)][collectible.Variable(id)]

Unfortunately, it didn’t work. I tried the debugger, and none of the children are incrementing at all. Is there some other way to accomplish saving each collectible in a global variable?

Did you copy and paste? Because I just spotted that levelId has a typo in my response…

Okay, I fixed the capitalization typo, but it still doesn’t work. I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong here…
Although, why is the levelId of collectible a string variable, and the id of collectible a normal variable?

Hang about - in your first event delete the collectible after referencing the levelId and id, after the sub event uses collectible. That may be a red herring, but it’s a start:

[edit]
Also, it’s VariableString, not StringVariable as I had incorrectly put in earlier. Sorry :confused:.

Here’s a working line - I’ve retested it to confirm:

collectiblesObtained["level"+ collectible.VariableString(levelId)][collectible.VariableString(Id)]

It works! Each collectible is now properly being stored, and the transparent animations are working to indicate! I even checked the debugger, and the variables are incrementing like they should. Thanks again.

Now onto the third part, having the collectibles show in the status bar. I moved the code around a bit to make it so that instead of the collectible’s medallion showing up on the status bar when the collectible is grabbed, it will ALWAYS appear in the status bar as long as the global variable for the corresponding collectible is 1. This however, doesn’t seem to work. The new code is underneath the third blue group:

Is there any way I can fix this?

I’m wondering if the trigger once condition creating the collectibleMedalion action is only firing once, ever. And if so, the way I read it, the collectibleMedalion is being moved to a position in the next line. And if only one is ever generated, it’ll never fill other slots on the status bar.

I’d consider giving a collectibleMedallion 2 animations - one for when it’s not collected, the other for when it is. Place the uncollected animation version on the status bar in the editor so they’re positioned on the status bar from the start, and just change the animation once it’s collected. It’ll require a couple more events at the start of the scene to display the collectibeMedallions correctly, but it’ll save having to faff around with all that logic later on.

Hmmm… I can’t seem to get that to work. Here’s what I did:

It’s displaying the uncollected animation correctly, but not the collected animation when the corresponding collectible is picked up. I’m not sure what to do about this.

Are you sure this is the better way to do this, or is there a way to make the “Repeat for each instance” block work properly with Trigger once like I had before?

(Edit: When testing, using the previous code, each medallion is getting created, but only once the scene is revisited. I would like it to show at all times if it’s collected. Also, when the scene is revisited, the medallion only shows up for 1 frame, and them vanishes. Also, when more are collected, all of them just position themselves in the third medallion slot before vanishing. What I really need is a way to get the medallions to not only go in their correct spots, but also stay there without disappearing as well. Any way we can tinker with the previous code on how to solve this?)

(Edit 2: I tinkered around with the code some more, and I got the medallions to appear in their correct slots, and stay in them! Here’s a GIF:
GDevelopCollectibles2

Although, the problem with them not appearing the moment they’re collected still persists. Also, I would like the collectible medallions for all levels to show in their status bars no matter what the current scene is. In the GIF, the medallions only show if the player is in the corresponding level. Can I make ALL medallions show in EVERY level? Here’s the new code:

)

Yes, it’s a lot better. It’s cleaner and more processor efficient.

You don’t need to be updating the animation of every collectibleMedallion every frame, just one collectibleMedallion once when it is collected.

What you had previously was along the right lines, which had the event “If there is a collision between You and a collectible”… Create a sub-event off that to determine which collectibelMedallion should have it’s animation updated.

Hmm… I’m still having problems with this. Here’s the code:

What happens here is that once I collect just one single collectible, all of them change their animation. I’m not sure how to fix this

Get rid of the Medallions collection section. It’s not needed, and probably causing trouble…

And to make it a lot easier on our brains, change your collectionMedallion animations around (just grab and drag them in the editor), so 0 means uncollected and 1 means collected. That’ll keep it in line with the Global Variables.

[edit]
You need to specify which collectibleMedallion you want to change. Currently it will do all of them because you haven’t used a condition to select just one.

Okay, I did all that, but I’m not sure how to check for a specific collectible.
Also the progress no longer saves. Once I switch scenes and return, all of the medallions are uncollected. Otherwise, nothing changed.

Add 2 object variables to the colletcibleMedallion object - call them levelId and Id. In the editor, set them to the level and medallion number each one belongs to (it would be better to do through events if you have more levels - create the collectible medallion and set the variables, but don’t worry about that for now)

Move the delete collectible action to a final sub-event, so it’ll be the last action performed when a player & collectible collision occurs (i.e. after the event that changes the collectibleMedallion animation).

In your code where the collectibleMedallon animation change occurs, remove the existing condition and replace it with the conditions
collectibleMedallion.levelId = collectible.levelId
collectibleMedallion.Id = collectible.Id

To get the collectibleMedallions showing at the start of the scene, try the adding the following event (I’m not 100% sure it’ll work, but let’sstart with it):

condition : at the start of the scene
action : set the animation number of collectibleMedallion = collectiblesObtained[“level”+ collectibleMedallion .VariableString(levelId)][collectibleMedallion .VariableString(Id)]

Alright, that seems to work well. However, for saving the data across scenes, the code provided seems to return an error saying that I’m missing an expression (Note: I adjusted some of the spelling and capitalization to match what I have):

This shouldn’t return any errors since it’s practically the same as the other code we worked with. Is there something else missing?