The Gift of Stealing - A homage to the first ever stealth game

Hello everyone!

I decided on a whim to take a break from my big project and make a smaller game for the season of gift giving. It’s a tiny three-day project that’s still very rough around the edges, but I hope it can be fun for fans of stealth games, Oblivion, arcadey gameplay or rushed pixel art. I call it The Gift of Stealing.

This is one of a few attempts to make games inspired by The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, but as if they were GameBoy Advance titles. Someday I hope to make a complete 2.5D demake with hideous low resolution textures, crunchy MIDI music and a terrible draw distance (as any fan of Shadowkey would), but I’m starting to wonder if a game in the style of Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap wouldn’t work better.

More importantly, it’s also a homage to Manbiki Shounen (aka Shoplifting Boy), a 1979 video game created by Hiroshi Suzuki and considered to be the first stealth game ever created. Ever since learning of its existance thanks to Stealth Docs, I’ve been fascinated by it and wanted to recreate it with my webcomic character, Mia.

The gameplay is very simple, but I hope you’ll find it as addictive as I did when playtesting it. My current high score is 26 seconds to loot everything, and I can’t wait to see you crush it!

2 Likes

Didn’t know Manbiki Shounen. I like retrogames.

Nice homage.

1 Like

It sadly gets overshadowed by more popular titles (like the Metal Gear series) and because the Guinness book of world records (still) misattributes the title to Sega’s 005. But it’s a fascinating game and I had a lot of fun trying to recreate it from gameplay videos, I’m glad if I can help bring any more attention to it!

Thanks btw!

1 Like

Very nice! Thank you so much for these information.

I considered Castle Wolfenstein the oldest stealth.

1 Like