Update: Support for text objects, objects renaming and more!

Did you take a look at this?

What is this? :astonished:
I don’t get it what’s this “blacklisting” is all about and how it helps if it supposed to help in any ways :confused:
Is the OS and browser devs blocking drivers and driver/hardware features for security and stability reasons or something?
I’m using proprietary drivers from Ubuntu repo and all I wanted to say, I don’t really experience that performance boost because of nature of Linux and “improved” Nvidia drivers what Valve was mentioning when Steam was coming to Linux and they also announced their own Linux based OS. Really the performance is worst compared to Windows in some cases even compared to Wine is well. Some Windows games running through Wine has better perfomance. Since Steam released on Linux and more Unity, Unreal, Source and some idTech games coming to Linux, I’m not too happy with the perfomance of these games on Linux running on these (and other) engines to be honest.

Yep, that’s it.
Mozilla devs can decide to block any graphic card, with not workaround, just because they considered those drivers too old.
Check your graphic drivers. If they’re under the 257.21, your performance issue/firefox buginess could come from this.

To really compare Windows and Linux, use the xfce UI (with linux Mint because windows-like). Then you can be sure the horse power of your rig isn’t sucked up by useless visual enhancements.

Through my own tests, a linux Mint xfce can power a PC from 2003 as good as a windows XP in a PC from 2008.
But, yeah, all those librairies make any game/software like 80s, where you had to tweak DOS parameters to make it works.

My driver version is 331.38 though if I think about it maybe I experience this problem with Firefox since I have recieved a “browser engine update”. But it is not constant, sometime works fine but most of the times just don’t. Maybe it something else, but thanks I didn’t know such blocking can happen :neutral_face:

Regarding the UI maybe I should try a less resource hungry UI, but becouse of GD and support in general I guess I shoud stick to Ubuntu (and I also prefer Unity). I know Mint is Ubuntu based, but I’m not sure if all the Ubuntu packages are available or not, well, I can give it a try anyway :slight_smile:
Thanks.

Hey I have one more suggestion for GDevApp. When we insert an event we have this customize your event window. How about that if a project would have such window by default that can be accessed any time and can customize the event not only when we insert it but also any time after? When a user insert an event then all the customizable options would be added to this project event customization window and could customize the event used in the project, any time. It would be useful mostly in case of beginners who may don’t really understand after insert, where all these values can be customized in the events or the event is not nicely designed everything just thrown in between dozen of events and hard to find the actual expression, variable where things can be changed.
In the project all customizable options would be kept inside groups to keep separate different options of different events inserted in the project. such as:

Inserted event name:
option 1
option 2

Inserted event name:
option 1
option 2

I think it can be really useful, and also to be able to set such customizable options any time for our project not only when we share an event, this way users can take advantage of customizable options also when we share/copy a project.
Also, I was just think about that what happen if 2 shared event is using the same variable for different purposes?
I have not tested it as I thought about it in this moment, but in case you have no solution for that, how about that if GD would change the variable by adding a number to it name? For example let say I have a scene variable “count” in two different event. In one of them it would be used to count number of key presses, in the other event it would be used to count number of mouse presses… How about that, when we insert an event, and the event has a variable that already in use in the project, then GDevApp would change the name of the variable used in the event we are about to insert? In this case, count to count2 or maybe could change both count in the project and also in the event we want to insert to count1 (in the project) and count2 (in the event we insert) just to make sense the numbers too.

This is exactly the long term goal of the events editor :smiley:

Having an enhanced store event, and when you add an event, it stay folded, like a “Black box”: you can then customize it again to change some things or even “update” it to use the latest version shared by its author. :slight_smile:
And if you want, as shared events are normal events, you can also unfold it and modify it by yourself.

The next version of GDevelop should bring group events that will be used to (group together events) and easy to sharing process.
At the end, it would be awesome to create a game by assembling blocks of groups of events created by other users :slight_smile:

Just a small update: events can now be collapsed as it GDevelop (but with sweet animations :smiley: ). The next step is to enhance the events store and, when an event template is inserted, to put it into a “Event group” that will contains the inserted events and that will be collapsed by default, so you just see the group name (and maybe a “Update button” will be available in the future, when events template can be updated by their authors).
After improving the event store, I’ll implement a basic event store directly in GDevelop so that GDevelop users can also use what is published on GDevApp. :slight_smile:

Nice :slight_smile: I think GDevelop need to be integrated with GDevApp as much as possible, I can imagine something similar to StencylWorks and Steam WorkShop. Users could login to GDevApp directly from GDevelop and take advantage of it online features such as share and use events, assets, projects and publish their games on GDevApp and have access to their project any time anywhere and they can also make changes to it “in the cloud” from any device have a web browser… It a long way to go but I can see huge potential. Also, the Chrome Web Store looks pretty good place for web apps, maybe would worth it to release GDevApp on Chrome Web Store (instead of release GDevelop on Steam). Because web apps are the future, it not a question and the Chrome Web Store along with Chrome OS takes the lead at the moment, if we compare it to native OS’s and it market places, Chrome OS and Chrome Store is not a huge market at the moment but easily can be the marker leader in the future and maybe worth it to be there right from the beginning.

By the way just found an other problem with GDevApp in Firefox. I have experienced this problem for a long time but I was always forget to mention it. The problem is, I can open the scene and event editor only of the first project loaded . If I load a project, close it and load an other project I can’t open the scene editor and the events editor anymore. Just nothing happening, I always have to reload GDevApp in such case.

The improved events store and events templates are now available :smiley: ! viewtopic.php?f=45&t=5864

With support for updating/modifying templates already inserted into a game! :slight_smile:
I will integrate this system into GDevelop as soon as possible :slight_smile:

Fixed :slight_smile:
(By the way, it has nothing to do with Firefox, it was a general issue :slight_smile: )