Visual novels and 3D?

Just discovered this engine and went through wiki/tutorials but I think I missed any information on visual novels. So…

Is it possible to create a visual novel with GDevelop, like with Ren’Py?

and…

Is it possible to use any amount of 3D in-game, like with GameMaker Studio (or Unity, I guess)? Mostly curious about it because of Hidden Object genre.

From what I can tell, I think it would be possible to create a visual novel, but I want to know if anyone here has developed one with it or if there will be some problems create a simple dialogue system or a RPG combat (turn based) system in a visual novel.

Thanks.

Game Develop can be used to make visual novels. :wink:

Basically, you just need to create sprites and to use the Text object extension. I don’t think you need another extension, so you can also develop a visual novel for web/android/iOS. :slight_smile:

I recommend you to create your dialogue system and your combat system in external events. Then, create your story dividing it into chapters, each corresponding to a scene. Of course, if you want to have a branched story, you can create Chapter X, Chapter X bis, etc.

Concerning your dialogue system, you will have to manage a lot of texts. Familiarize yourself with text manipulation and variables :

(You will have to link external events in each of your scenes)

And concerning the combat system (turn based), this will be a lot more complex. The more features you add (competence system, life, mana, defense, equipment, etc), the more complex it is. Don’t forget the AI : it is simple to make a primitive one, but a strong AI is veeeeery complex to manage. There will be a large amount of conditions, events, sub-events and sub-sub-events. You have to master variables. :wink:

GDevelop is not a 3D-Game engine. The only 3D feature is the 3D Box which can, as the name suggests, create 3D boxes.

Good luck ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This looks promising, I will have to spend some time messing around with it to see how much I can do with it. As far as the AI is concerned, I am used to creating complex AI using Warcraft 3 editor’s trigger system (over 500 “if, then, else statements” everywhere :stuck_out_tongue:). I enjoyed it, so I want to see if that’s possible here.

Thank you for replying. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Is there MP chat possible? LIke, one player can use port to access another’s computer for a chat or MP gameplay session? How hard would that be?

I never used web features of GDevelop so I can’t say if a chat is possible, but such features exist. Try the extension “Network Features”. :slight_smile:

Thanks. Going through documentation now. :slight_smile: