WASD controls are inconsiderate

New pet peeve! Devs that use exclusively WASD for movement, rendering their game unplayable (for me). Please consider not disabling the arrow keys, or consider letting the player remap your regrettable choice of movement keys to something more suitable.

Thank you.

5 Likes

Yes, yes, yes, 1000 times agree.

2 Likes

Ah, I remember when Gruk bothered me about it when testing Boxwindow… :stuck_out_tongue:
Fun times.

For everyone else out there, remember, custom controls is just a string variable and checking for a text expression in events!
Then you can make ingame settings to either bind each key or make it a preset.
Try learning it as soon as you complete the platformer tutorial. Quality of life is no joke!

3 Likes

I’m glad you brought this up, I’ve been thinking the same for some time. It’s a control paradigm that evolved from fps games, which not everyone appreciates… and in some cases, can’t use at all due to a disability. It’s definitely worth the effort to allow custom key bindings, alternative presets, and the use of gamepads!

1 Like

I’m glad you, at least, have been thinking about it. And hopefully more people follow your lead.

As for fps though, I can’t imagine playing a fps, or any other game that requires skill, using default controls. If I start a skill based game and go to rebind my keys (which is the very first thing I would do) and find out I can’t rebind my keys: REFUND!

I’m not just saying that because I use my mouse left handed so this would put me at a serious disadvantage and generally be unpleasant to play. Even if I was right handed, I would demand the ability to rebind my controls.

These kind of games require precision. They require lightning fast speed and accuracy, both with mouse and keyboard. But just as importantly, they require an intelligent and efficient layout of the controls, and you’re just not going to get that right out of the box because a lot of that will depend on your playstyle and what roles you’re taking.

In games that matter, your skill, speed, accuracy and reflexes matter. You can’t be taking your eyes off the screen, fumbling around to find the right button. Right handed mousers, just as much as the rest of us, benefit from being able to make intelligent decisions about their keyboard layout.

And before anyone says, right handed mousers just suck it up and use the default controls… No. I know you can tell the difference when you’re playing between people shambling around the game using default controls and the ones that actually know what they’re doing.

1 Like

Thank you for your insight, I really appreciate it. This should be taken more seriously, it’s not just about accessibility (which I feel is important), but like you said, it could be the difference between a dedicated player… and a refund. I’d be interested to know how you set up your controls, if you wouldn’t mind sharing a few examples.

I set up my controls pretty much the same for any game.

Summary

Left and right mouse button are usually default (as long as the game doesn’t override my system settings for primary mouse button), unless there is a reason not to for the RMB, then that can be swapped out. I tend not to depend on mouse wheel for important events because I find it can be inaccurate in some games, so I usually put useful but innocuous options there. I do not have side mouse buttons.

For keyboard controls I tend not to use the function keys. I use 6 through Backspace, Y through backslash, H through ’ (enter is always just enter), and N through Shift. On my bottom row Space and Alt with my thumb. Rarely Ctrl.

Auxiliary keys in easy reach for non-essential but semi-frequent tasks are T G and B.

In most games I don’t need every key but those are the ones I choose from. Mobility keys I do with my first 3 fingers never my pinky, so where some might choose wasd I would probably set up jilk. Exception being a mobility that I might need to use with another mobility. That I may set up with a key like ; or [ but nothing I really have to stretch for.

My most important keys are always assigned to the easiest to reach, so jkl;uiopyhn67890 in that order. With the keys I listed first taking up most important and least important toward the end.

Exception of 8. Really great key for something you don’t use a lot but need to find fast when you do use it. Backspace and \ are also good choices for this.

Bottom row m , and . are usually for utility tasks that are not terribly important. Same for keys I didn’t mention like right bracket key.

Erm anyway that was long, sorry.

2 Likes

Thank you for the detailed description, it’s very helpful actually. I’ll always keep left hand mouse users in mind, going forward.

1 Like