What mini-game activities should be in a good rpg?

Many games have mini-games, incredibly small idle games, which are, at best, a whole little publish-worthy game of a different genre, all on their own. Super Cat Tales II (It is II, right?) has a very unique little fishing game that is awesome. In Super Loggerman adventure, or whatever that game is called, the original Loggerman game is on an arcade box in each level. The most notable example of mini-games like this is in story-driven games, where the mini games provide reprieve from the main storyline. Like a hero has time to chase butterflies or sit there fishing for a few hours at a time. But also, as if the player desires to be forced to either actually rush their gameplay to the end in real-time or else fail to save the world, and not get to see any cool stuff or have any variations along the way. If a game is story-driven it is still expected to be a game, rather than a novel.
I’ve seen some cool water sort puzzles and such in point-and-click and look-and-find (usually also point-and-click) games. It isn’t common for rpgs or platformers to have as many notable mini-games, but those they do have are often of a higher quality and add to the game in some way, even if just by fleshing out the environment.

In my dream rpg, the rpg I think it would be really cool to gift unto the world, the player starts out in the lobby, so to speak, but the lobby is a small, currently peaceful town on the worldmap, in which various different main story quests can be taken on from npcs, and where the line between side quest and main quest is extremely thin. Due to the fact that the player has lots of time on their hands and the game is more about the world than any one of the stories in it, that world must be fleshed out quite a bit. Therefore, I would like suggestions as to what minigames to add to the game, and I believe it could help others, later down the road, think of unique ideas as well.

I already have some ideas: Fishing ; Smithing; Various chores for various people, such as in Among us, which is actually one of the best examples possible, even. A good many side quests would probably refer to a mini-game. Wack-a-wolf, accesible by offering to shepherd for a poor farmer or something. some form of cooking game. I think most minigames would fit the “simulator” genre, and a key feature is their being casual.

have have you developed any of this?

Not yet. I haven’t gotten around to it, yet, due to currently designing other parts of the game. I am being proactive here because results take a long time to get in this category; moderators mainly reveolve arount the how to category, I think, and this doesn’t fit there because it is asking about more broad opinions rather than how to do anything specifically GDevelop related.

My input would be design and execute the simplest version of your idea, then gradually increment from there.

Good idea. I wasn’t really planning any big, flashy, “ooh! You cna play a second, totally unrelated, fully publishable side game that would be really addictive and popular on an app store inside your rpg game” mini-games, and that would not only make it no longer a minigame, it would ruin the whole purpose of the mini-game: to give relief from the enemy-smashing and trap-evading. To be, simply, a simple, calm breakout room, basically. While heavily populated areas might have fancy arcades just for the purpose of being abominations that make players feel sick to their stomachs from big fast flashing light sequences and electronic noises, the standard minigame would be simple and relaxing, with mellow scenery and quiet, relaxing music. There likely won’t be trumpets upon the gaining of a trophy, just a pleasant “ding,” and the rewards won’t be a big deal. You’re like one of the Bagginses, after their adventures, sitting in the rocking chair on the porch, and blowing smoke rings in strange shapes.