What should I use to create sprites for GDevelop?

I need to make a character for a game, but I don’t know what to use? I tried making one, but it has a white background and it looks weird when I insert it. I need to find a program that I can not have a white background. I hope that made sense.

Thanks for the help! :smiley:

I use Gimp to make my sprites. It’s free.
gimp.org/
It supports transparency and opacity.

I heard Photoshop was good, but it’s kinda expensive, so I’ve never tried it.

If you’re making Pixel Art then Piskel is something I use sometimes.
piskelapp.com/
It’s much easier then Gimp. But not as flexible.

Oh PNG files are what kind of images I use. I think JPEG, and BMP, and a few others don’t support transparency.

Hopefully this helps :slight_smile:

For pixel art I also use mtPaint sometime, it free and cross platform and also support transparency.
mtpaint.sourceforge.net/

Hexels 2 is also something that personally I find interesting the demo version works for only 7 days but I think it pretty cool that we can use all kind of shapes to create art not only square pixels.
marmoset.co/hexels

I’m also experimenting with Qubicle.
minddesk.com/
This is a 3D Voxel editor but you can also use it as a 2D pixel art tool and render whatever you got on to images from any angle. Pretty cool and you can use the demo version as long as you want but you are not allowed to use your creations and after few days the export and save options get disabled but you can play with it as long as you want. If you decide to buy it, keep in mind most features comes in DLC’s that makes many people angry because they expect to get everything the demo has for the price of the base package but that is not the case. If you want all the features the demo has, it is going to cost more, but it is totally worth it in my opinion. Best tool ever for both, making 2D pixel art and 3D voxel mesh at least for someone like me who’s got no art skills and have lot of trouble drawing the same thing from different angles and views. Qubicle helps a lot with that one.

If you are a 3D artist or you have access to some 3D models (you have the rights to use them in any ways you want), you can also use my little tool 3D2Sprite to render your 3D models on to images and use them as sprites.
3d2sprite.blogspot.co.uk/p/home.html
I made this tool for the same reason I like Qubicle, to make sprites from different angles of the same thing and also to render 3D animations such as walking, jumping…etc on the sprites that also helps me a lot.

Otherwise, if you just want to make some general sprites and art, Gimp is the most popular choice among free Image editors, but you can also try Paint.Net
getpaint.net/index.html

Photoshop got some really nice features if you are a pro artist, but you need to pay monthly to use it:
adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop.html

Thank for the help! I will try these out and see which one works the best for me! :smiley: