Allow pasting Conditions and Actions into Empty Events

Describe the bug
Copy and paste to do of conditions and actions doesn’t work from one event to another. It does work within the same event. It also works to hold control and drag to make a copy.

Share the complete GDevelop project showing the bug
This works on any project with events.

Steps to reproduce.

1. Copy a condition or action using Ctrl-C or right click.
  2. Try to paste in a different event.
    GDBug2

Tested on Windows desktop and on web.

Just hover over the other event condition or action if its copied it will show an option to paste it

1 Like

That does work, but I feel like it should work the same way both within the same event and into a different event. I also think Ctrl-V should work.

The way it is now feels bugged even if there is a work around.

I believe this is working as designed.

You cannot paste into an empty event from the right click menu, but you can use the “paste” text that pops up to the right of the “add condition” text if you have a condition copied, and likewise for actions. You can only paste using the right click menu if there is an condition in the box already.

I don’t remember the specific reasoning behind it.

1 Like

the method changed, and I didn’t even notice till reading your post.
the paste option just changged places to a more convenient place, as others already mentioned.

Why would this be by design? Why should the presence of another condition or action affect the behavior of paste? I agree that is the way that the code works now, but it feels like a bug when you are trying to use GDevelop.

Sorry, I can’t answer why. I only vaguely remember a conversation about it on the discord forever ago and it being stated as expected behavior when it was implemented.

So I’d say while it may not be expected behavior from the perspective of some users, it doesn’t appear to be a bug.

With that in mind, I’m moving this over to feature requests and updating the title so it can be seen more easily with that mindset by the devs. If a dev or a mod knows otherwise, please feel free to move back.

I think I understand what you’re saying. Events are split up into 3 main areas. A condition, action and the event itself (the blank area within an event). You need to have matching clipboard data to paste in each area.

I do think that the system could be a little more intuitive and if the cursor is in the event area that it could add an action or event if that’s what the clipboard contain. The cursor might still need to at least be on the left or right side but it should still assume that if you’re pasting an action then your intention is to paste an action maybe as long as the cursor is on the right side, regardless of whether it’s on an action or in the empty space below it.

The reason it doesn’t currently allow you to paste an action when the cursor is in the empty area of an event is because it’s expecting the clipboard to contain an event.

1 Like