Android 7 support, PLEASE!

Hello, I discovered GDevelop a week ago and I already love it, I’ve never felt so sure about being able of bringing my dream game to life, and it’s FREE!?

The issue is that I wanted to make my dream game to actually enjoy it myself as well;
In summary, the game targets Android TV, and I mean people who can’t afford a console or even a “good” Android TV like an NVIDIA Shield or a Chromecast. So GDevelop seemed perfect for the job, BUT:

GDevelop doesnt fully support Android Nougat. Now, how’s this an issue, isn’t Android 7 outdated? Look, (Please read the whole post)

1. The majority of economic Android TVs out there are made in china, even if they’re distributed with the name of a local company, this applies as well to Set Top Boxes, the thing is, they usually claim to have Android 9 or even 10, but in reality, it’s Nougat 90% of the time, the reason is that the slow hardware will be able to run it more smoothly this way, I know this for a FACT since I’ve been working with Android Kernel and ROMs for years (Post data, my TV doesn’t lie, it’s straight up Nougat :joy:)

2. Yeah, maybe the economic Android TV users represent a way to small percentage of the total Android TV users, so it’s not worth it, right? Nooooooooooooo, hell nooooo, even if it’s a 10%, you know how many people is that!? A LOT, we’re still talking millions, and I’m one of them, and I can’t play my own game :sob:

3. Yup, and that’s not it, many people make their TVs “Smart” by using and HDMI cable to their PCs running BlueStacks, or any other Android Emulator, now, how many people use BlueStacks?
    I guess we can agree that they’re many
    BlueStacks & other emulators support Android 5 Lollipop, and Android 7, claiming Nougat to be capable of running most modern games, and it IS!!! Oh yeah, except for even the most simple 2D game made with GDevelop
    Are 40 Million people not enough to make the engine work with old devices?

I reallyy want my game to be played on economic devices, as I was one of those users for a very long time, I’m truly doing my best so that it’s possible INSIDE the game, but I can’t continue if the problem is the engine, it’s such a huge turn off…

When the games are exported to android, they can be installed in Android 7, I don’t know why if you can’t play it

• I tried running my game (It’s just the menu by now) on my TV (It’s straight up doesn’t work, BLACK SCREEN)

• I tried running my game on my mom’s phone/my old phone with Android 7, GUESS WHAT, I get a black screen

• On the TV’s browser: Black screen

• On the phone’s browser: Black screen

• ON BLUESTACKS (It’s supposed to be powerful right? It’s the same hardware I’m using to run the whole engine/editor) It actually would launch! Of course, seconds before glitching the rendering really bad and crashing

• On BlueStacks’ browser: Suprisingly it actually works!! Kinda laggy but no problems at all, isn’t that crazy? So why don’t we make it so that it works as a full package? That would be awesome, GDevelop developers!

And thanks for reading, I still love y’all and I really wanna use the engine, but Unity doesn’t have these problems, Godot doesn’t have these problems, I’m not leaving man, I know you guys can get ahead and make it work! :slight_smile:

If you really think about it, Android Nougat support can not only mean old mobile devices support, but emulators and TVs! That’s a LOT of players, and yeah, maybe developers, here I am :smiley: (I mean, we’re making games, right?)

Unfortunately, OS Support is based off 3 things:

• Current version of WebGL 1 Minimum requirements
  • Near Current version of Electron (meaning Chromium) Minimum Requirements. I believe it’s currently Chromium 100 and it’s about to be upgraded an even higher version.
  • Current version of PixiJS Minimum Requirements (The renderer used).

GDevelop doesn’t really control base level OS support at all. (Although the export for android can increase the minimum higher with a min API spec, but you wouldn’t be able to install those if it was older than the min spec)

Have you tried exporting the standard examples and see if they work? If they work, it may just be an insufficient RAM and/or unsupported WebGL instructions on those devices, which means you couldn’t use things like layer effects (or some blend modes for things like opacity).

If they don’t work either, it’s very likely that any of the above 3 (or all of the above 3) do not support that OS. From some precursory searches on PixiJS’s github, it seems they’ve not supported Android 7 for bugfixes since 2018.

Edit: Also, as a heads up, per Appbrain and a few other aggregates, Android 7 accounts for less than 5% of all active Android OS versions

1 Like

That sounds like you might have an outdated browser that doesn’t understand modern JavaScript. As a reference, could you try to find out what versions of chrome are running on the devices in both app and browser mode? With that info we may be able to transpile our JavaScript code back to a previous JavaScript version compatible with those browser versions.

That sounds more like BlueStacks is a janky mess than a problem with GDevelop.

1 Like

Hello! thanks for replying, of course I’ll check that out! Though I’m not sure what do you mean “in both app and browser mode” Here’s what I got;

My TV’s WebView version is 51
BlueStacks’ stock Chrome version is 83

Now I can see it’s actually possible to sideload an updated Chrome version to my TV (103) to make it work! But it behaves with the same problem as with BlueStacks browser, it runs extremely laggy.

Could you please tell me how can I check what you need to know why it isn’t running as an standalone app? I’ll do it gladly; or is that enough?