BBCode text object

Hi,
Regarding BBcode objects:

• First of all, I think it would be nice to have a hoverable help button that would remind users of the available bbcode features, inside the bbcode event windows.
  • I tried several font family names, but I didn’t notice any change. It would be nice to have a dropdown of the available families.
  • I noticed that some basic bbcode features aren’t included, like the underline.
  • Is there any point to keeping both text objects? Shouldn’t the default text object be upgraded with the bbcode features? I am currently editing many of my text objects and related events to upgrade them to bbcode.

Let me know what you think.
Cheers

3 Likes

I think the developers are actually working on your second bullet currently: Improve font for Text & BBText by Bouh · Pull Request #1394 · 4ian/GDevelop · GitHub

Overall, I would agree we should eventually move on to BBCode only text (Unless there’s some performance related reasons to keep the original), but as the above link shows, I feel BBCode is still semi-experimental. I’m betting it needs to be refined a bit more before it can be considered a full replacement.

The difference is that the built-in text is using the renderers text object, and the bb text uses an extension. The Renderer is assured to keep being updated, and thus the standard text object too. But if there is a bug that appears in the plugin and it’s not maintained anymore, this would be a big problem.

1 Like