Do you use linux?!

Do you use Linux? If so, I’d love to hear about your experience! Please share:

1. What distro you use
  2. Why you chose it
  3. Your overall experience with Linux
  4. Any limitations you’ve encountered while using GDevelop on Linux

My turn:

I use Zorin OS 17.1. I’ve had some issues with GDevelop, mainly that some extensions have pretty bad compatibility with Linux.
Not only that, but I also use linux mint 21.3 on my old pc, it runs gdevelop, but lags when you’re moving the camera on the scene editor.

Your turn!

MODERATORS

If you don’t desire me to post this and deem it incongruous or puerile, feel free to expunge this post and elucidate your reason.

2 Likes

This is a really intriguing question. I do have Linux on one of my machines - the computer in the front room of my house. I don’t use it often because most of my work is done in an office at the back of the house. Your question will challenge me to use it more so I can see if these limitations while using GDevelop crop up for me too.

The computer in question has Zorin OS 16.3 Lite.

I chose it because I had googled “best linux distro for windows users” so I would have something to fall back on when Windows 10 reaches the end of its life. Zorin came up on a lot of the lists. I tried the Lite, I liked the way it looked and all the programs I use and things I plug in seemed to work ok.

For my experience, using Linux in the form of Zorin is super easy to set up. I didn’t have to know anything or learn anything to set it up or install the programs I need. It reminds me of a cross between my MacBook Pro and my Windows 10 pc if everything I didn’t like about both of those OS disappeared. As for software, everything I use is compatible with Zorin, except some software that needs macOS. Hrm, but I have not set up Cordova or tried to manually export and build a GDevelop project in Zorin so I probably should try to do that too.

I have not encountered any limitations using GDevelop. Right now though the bulk of my work on GDevelop is done on a Windows 10 pc. I only use Zorin when I am watching a movie or something and then it is only minor editing in GDevelop or some Inkscape work.

I’m going to use Zorin exclusively for a few months now to make sure. I was probably too complacent that all my programs worked correctly and that I had a go-to when Windows 10 is dead. But you have shook me up a little. I will need to make sure everything is working right and I don’t run into any issues. I guess I’ll upgrade to 17 too, I was putting it off but maybe the problems come with the 17 upgrade. I’m going to go with 17.1 Lite though because I enjoy the XFCE desktop and will miss it when Lite is discontinued. But I will let you know what problems I encounter.

1 Like

I use Zorin 17.1, most of my issues are related to Wayland. I did have problems with the mouse pointer lock on previews in linux. The pointer lock worked when I ran the game in an actual browser.

1 Like

Pointer lock is very problematic.

I am planning to switch to linux tho.

I’d come back if i did so.

Ok I took a machine I don’t use often in my office and put Zorin OS 17.1 Core on it. Decided against Lite for testing purposes.

Did not have time to do much on it, other than install GDevelop from flatpak, checked for Git (no), got Git from apt, checked for cURL (yes), got NVM, got Node.js LTS, got Cordova. Built and ran test Cordova project for browser. Working. Got Android Studio Jellyfish (as per Cordova blog). Got correct SDK Platform and Tools for Android Studio (as per Cordova blog). Manually exported GDevelop test project and built for Android. Working.

Connected Android phone to pc to install debug APK directly from Android Studio. Device not showing in connected devices list in Android Studio. Terminal shows adb working fine, device detected, no permission. Phone does not show typical “Trust this computer” for debugging. Only shows “Charge. Transfer Files. Transfer Photos (PTP).” I selected Tranfers Photos. Then the “Trust this computer” for debugging pops up. Allow. Connected device now showing in Android Studio. Install and run built test project on phone. Working.

And that’s all I’ve done so far other than getting a few more programs I use. Now I’m ready to use this PC as a full time work computer and I will see if any issues come up with GDevelop.

1 Like

Im using Linux Mint 21
Cuz it is optimized, and can run both ubuntu, debian and windows programs(in wine) + i can test my programs on any version of windows
Nice system, better than windows for me
Only pointer lock extension doesnt work. Other extensions working perfectly.

2 Likes

I think Linux Mint is suited for desktop users because I had a bad experience using it in a laptop which is why I installed Linux Mint on my PC zorin on my laptop

I’ve never installed pointer lock extension but I know it’s not functioning properly because I play games on the GD website and whenever a game contains a first person 3D shooter or anything that uses pointer lock, my mouse doesn’t aim properly either it goes up. Or it slowly goes down

I was never able to do manual build because it fails

Hmm does it give you an error when it fails?

Yes.
I do not have any plans to fix this right now. The online service is enough.

Well I have been using the Flatpak version of GDevelop on my Zorin OS desktop for almost 2 months now and haven’t run into any problems of note. However I never have any reason to use pointer lock.

Recently bought a MacBook Air mid 2013 11" so I can leave my MacBook Pro at home and travel lighter. I have installed a very nice distro called antiX to get the most out of the pitiful specs of my model.

I’m trying it out because it is lightweight, based on Debian (Zorin is based on Ubuntu and I was curious about Debian) and systemd free (I wanted to try out a regular init system since I gather by now there is a fuss about the subject in general) with a choice of runit or SysVinit. Oh, also because antiX has no desktop environment by default, but offers a choice of 4 window managers (in the full and base install) and I had already been wondering if for my use case a plain window manager that was customized a bit wouldn’t be better than a full blown DE.

I put the AppImage of GDevelop on that machine, and am looking forward to starting my work week so I can see how it runs on antiX, but I expect it will be like how it would run on any other system. Except maybe lagging as @v9um mentioned in the first post, as this machine is old and feeble.

I’m not sure about mac, I have never used one, but if you want a lightweight experience yet simply operational you could use Linux mint XFCE. I use it on my ancient pc that is 10+ years old and it works perfectly.
You can also make the most out of it by disabling the compositor.
If antiX supports it, try using XFCE. In my opinion, it is very lightweight yet very easy to operate.

I do remember I enjoyed the XFCE desktop when I trialed the Lite version of Zorin. I’m only on Core/Gnome because I had read they would be discontinuing Lite. I like the desktop environment on Core too, it’s very easy to set up a keyboard centric system. It’s just a bit weighty for an old computer with such low specs.

I don’t think it would be too difficult to get XFCE on antiX, a lot of users seem to add different desktop environments. The IceWM I’m using in antiX now is pretty nice too though. Someone has put up instruction for adding XFCE to anitX and the footprint is not much heavier so that seems to be an option.

I could try the Mint/XFCE if they have a live USB.