Help with a climbing animation

Hello. I am working on a game jam, and am stuck. I can have my character grab an edge, and I have have the character drop from the edge. However, I can not figure out how to have the character ‘pull themselves up’ on the ledge. I did animations, and it looks good, but after the last frame he just… freezes. Nothing happens. I have tried to have the character teleport after the animation finishes, etc., but it odes not happen. He simply freezes. I recorded my screen to show what i mean:

I ASSUME that it has to do something with collisions or the origin, but I have no idea what to do, or the ‘proper’ way to do this. any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I have been stuck on this for 2 days

You are resetting the climb timer the whole time the use key is pressed and the player is grabbing the platform edge. So the subevent that does the climbing will never get triggered.

Put the timer reset in a separate event, with the same conditions as in the screen shot, and with a “Trigger once while true” condition

1 Like

Thanks! While what you suggested didn’t EXACTLY work (probably due to a complication with another of the player states), I used your logic to work out what was wrong. Here is what I came up with:

Now I just need to figure out how to move it left or right depending on what way the player is facing so you don’t fall back off :stuck_out_tongue: will probably make a point that is there and move the character to the point instead of a random 77 pixels up

That wait x seconds is a new feature I haven’t played round with yet. Out of curiosity, does that wait 1 second prevent any other processing from happening? Can you still jump off within 1 seconds of pressing the Usekey? And if you press the Usekey and then release it before 1 second is up, does the player still climb?