How do i make a procedural map generator

so i want to make a rogue like for a game jam but i have no clue if creating a procedural map is even possible to make in gdevelop let alone how to make it

so if anyone knows if its possible or how to make it please let me know

the jam is right here

It’s possible. You will need to learn a lot about procedural generation among other things.

Unfortunately, there’s not really going to be a full tutorial that steps you through the process, and you’ll need to come up with a lot of methods on your own like any other game engine.

However, you can learn more about using seeds for generation using the Perlin Noise extension here: Implementing Procedural Generation [GDevelop wiki]

thanks im following it rn and yeah i assumed it wouldn’t be easy ;-;

Here is mine I made following the wiki, procedural-generation - Google Drive
It is a bit different from the wiki. I tried to make it more fast. I don’t know if it still works.

There are two scenes:

• Test Scene: This scene generates the world as chunks of 200x200 size, side by side and it reduces the load time (Not sure how much). There are some problems with the world generation in this scene. It started to get hard to add more chunks after 2 of them. There are currently 3 chunks (1 is broken) You could maybe fix it if you have the time.
  • Stable scene: This is the working version. It has some performance improvements than the tutorial one. It can load a 200x200 world in less than 10 seconds. This doesn’t load the world like the other scene But, it just load it as one chunk.

If you have any doubts feel free to ask. Hope it helps

Here is the original post 🔒[SOLVED]Project wont load with noise function - #36 by Midhil

its requiring me to request access so i just did that

I have given you access. An you now access it? Or I will change the visibility so anyone can access it

I know this comment is kinda old but I made a way to make trees a little less common and concentraded, basycally I made so when it’s to create trees it has a 1/3 chance of being a tree and 2/3 of being grass, it’s pretty simple but if used more deeply it can be even more varyated.

2 Likes