Import gifs as sprite animations

Please add a button to be able to directly import gifs into animations on sprites. The only way right now is either to import in piskel, or separate the gif into multiple images.

1 Like

Hello Ninjonahplayz,

Why do you own gifs for animations instead of a sprite sheet or a frame by frame export?

I find gifs much easier to use. I when I said add a button, I just meant that since it supports image formats, maybe gdevelop could also support gif format.

Sorry, let me reframe my questions:

• On which software are you creating your animations?
  • Why do you export your animations as gifs rather than frame by frame or sprite sheets?

Thanks!

I use pickle, and I have a hard time using sprite sheets, and frame by frame is annoying because I have to import every individual frame, especially when the sprite have a lot of animations.

I am with the FR… but

AFAIK you can select multiple images when you choose images.

Let me give my 2 cent on this matter.
I’m against gif importing…(someone may find it strange,.:).)
I dunno which method are u using, but i tried the actual method and i don’t find it appealing for a game development…still it’s great to have such feature.
As u said in the op import gifs is easy…ofc bcs it’s 1 animated group of pictures,
but keep in mind that (at least if you’re not creating a gif from scratch) mosts gif plays around 15 to 24 fps…it means that for each second you have from 15 to 24 images…(imagine a 60 fps gif)
…so even if u import a gif, (for performance matter) you gonna end to select part of the animation or only selected keyframes…wasting your precious time
Just saying this bcs…at this point isn’t better to import frames already separated as single images ?
…i suggest this…(since sometimes i did it too)
if u really like a gif…convert that gif with a tool (or online service, or with the GD Piskel) then import only needed keyframes in gd…u gonna end with something more simple and performant to manage…and u can compress images better…
mosts of the time 6 to 12 "“selected” images are enough for a pretty smooth walk animation

if u instead want to import a 4 frames gif, than your op make more sense…but it shouldnt be faster than import that 4 pictures manually

Since an update a few months ago, this is only necessary if the frame names are different. If there are increasing numbers at the end, you can select all of them at once.

Okay, good to know. I didn’t know you could import multible frames at once. And I was mostly thinking file-wise, and having to organize all the images.

1 Like