Improve game icons (Windows/Mac) on automatic export

Hi, so I am writing this forum on suggesting some “ideas” on gdevelop’s, “Generate icons from a file”

Screenshot (12)

I know that it does a good job resizing images to fit different devices. However, there’s a small issue, it only resizes the image. If a user decides to use this feature with a .png file to save time, the icons for both Mac and Windows won’t load correctly. This is because Mac requires .icns files and Windows requires .ico files.

If this feature could also convert the image type and automatically save it as .ico for Windows and .icns for Mac, it would save us the time and effort of manually editing the .json or .js files when packaging our game. But considering that GDevelop is a no-code game engine most people wouldn’t know programming to fix this issue, and this issue is completely unfixable if we are using the automated export of GDevelop which would make the users opt for the command prompt to install the npm, run the npm ect…

I think it is here because, it is creating the same icon for all “linux, mac and windows”

Fixing it would save a lot of time of users and also wouldn’t require the people to manually edit out the .json and .js and then installing npm and then running npm and all. (running and installing the npm could be simple for users as athuro555 has already made a youtube video on how to do manul export of GDevelop)

How users can fix this:

Currently as a fix people can use tools like “ChatGPT” to fix their .json and .js, and for converting it into an .exe or .zip that we can use to run the game, you can follow athuro555’s this video to package games through command prompt: https://youtu.be/p1enCRb9Pgk?si=mI3DlEotkj-Ir01n

Conclusion:

But automated export is generally more useful so that windows users can also get the installation file of mac and linux. But currently there is no fix to this other than the manual export.

2 Likes

This seems very useful, and I would like to see this get added in the future!
It would indeed save a lot of boring time and speed up the process of publishing the game.

1 Like

So manually changing the .png file to .ico in the JSON file fixes the error with the taskbar / windows icon?

1 Like

When you manually import you get your .json and all assets of your game. Now add the .ico and .icns thumbnails here now replace the .png to .ico for windows on the .json file do the same with mac by changing its .png to icns. I think linux supports .png. This would fix it.

IMPORTANT: if you are on windows don’t do the part of mac as it wouldn’t work.

If you are on windows don’t add the .icns or changing the .json for mac (it would be useless) because windows doesn’t support the files to be imported to linux, mac ect. It only makes you a package for windows.

I feel like some of the issues with the icon with automatic packaging is on Electron’s end as well.

1 Like