Maybe possible?

Actually, you are half correct.
No hate, just saying.

I consider myself a level 2.5/5 level Gdeveloper, and I have coded some kinda complex mechanics.

(picking up stuff and putting it in a hotbar, a QOL extension, customizable
character, just to name a few)

So I think that it would be possible to make an AAA 2D game, but it would take some custom extensions/complex code.

1 Like

You would need to use JavaScript only if you are trying to implement something not already implemented in gdevelop either by default or by an extension.

AAA doesn’t mean it is a great game. It just means that a large company with a lot of resources made it. Many AAA titles are utter trash with a bunch of layers of flashy but superficial paint.

As for making a quality game that people want to buy, you can certainly do that with GDevelop without learning JS. It really comes down to how much effort you are going to pour into actually making and finishing an excellent game. Being able to write “complex code” (as if that is a good thing lol) will not help you design fun gameplay mechanics or produce nice artwork, nor will it help you to actually complete a project.

2 Likes

We mean AAA quality.

AAA is not really a level of quality, that’s what I’m trying to say. Yes, they have more resources and so they can produce a lot of shiny assets, but does that come together to make a good game? Sometimes…

On the other hand what’s the biggest selling game of the modern age? Oh right Minecraft, an indie title (until MS bought it ofc).

If you want to be AAA then you just need enough capital to hire a giant bloated team that’s 90% executives and marketers, then completely fail to make something good and just liquidate the whole company.

1 Like

As a reminder, folks, all AAA means is marketing and development costs being in the multimillion range.

In the video game industry, AAA (Triple-A) is a buzzword used to classify video games produced or distributed by a mid-sized or major publisher, which typically have higher development and marketing budgets than other tiers of games.

Thats it. Thats all it has ever meant. If you are using the term as a sign of quality you are using it incorrectly.

With the abive in mind. Sure, you could make an AAA game in GDevelop with a large enough team/cost of assets/marketing/publisher size/etc.

If you want to make a AAA game(in terms of quality…let me pass the term) “alone” i think is doable… “in part”… and hard as hell …if what are you good at is just GD.

In truth if you’re good just at GD i don’t think is doable “alone”.

Things may change if you have already more background as:

-designer
-animation
-2D artist
-3D modeler
-Audio design
-i would add general knowledge and gamer as requirements.

Now you don’t have to shine in all of them if you ask…but all their basics are mandatory.

eg: while i love my game i’m at the moment stuck with the audio part…since even with my average skills in various audio softwares …i’m not satisfied with the results and i know that i’ll probably end to hire a composer…(fortunately is something i don’t need now and i’d wish to need later).

Imo u should think in these terms if you want to make something good.

i forget
-free time
to the list

Neither GDevelop nor any other technology in existence which will allow a lone indie dev to produce on the level of a AAA-studio.

Yes they could. Just spend a huge amount on marketing/advertising, pay though the nose for art and music, purchase a mansion costing millions to house a purpose built server room, and you’ve got a budget to rival many AAA studios.

1 Like

…i don’t know if you ever played a 2D game from Devolver Digital…
Now…i dunno if you guys thinks that they’re not AAA or what but they’re game sells more than many AAA game and imo all their games are doable in Gdevelop…( Hotline Miami,Broforce,Carrion,ecc…)*
and what about Terraria?..Loop hero…Bloodstained…Blasphemous…Axiom Verge…
There are many examples on Steam about this.
Imho when an Indie beat a AAA we can call it a AAA.

but…in any way …you have to put a hand to your wallet…

AAA development typically and desperately lack in productivity and innovation. It treats humans like an expendable resource and uses all sorts of dirty psychological tricks in order to get players hooked. It takes them years to make a single game and they keep remaking their tech because “the old one” perpetually sucks. AAA means sequels and carbon copy games. AAA is a self-congratulatory term and not necessarily a gold standard.