Miko Adventures: Puffball devlog šŸ˜®

Drawing some fragile blocksā€¦
New gameplay mechanic and a new way to traverse a levelā€¦
Early progress ā€¦

3 Likes

Itā€™s been a while since I was active in any social platform ā€¦ was working non stop on the game for almost 15 hours everyday for the past 2 weeks, here are some of the new stuff (itā€™s a lot to remember but Iā€™ll do my best) :smile:
Here we goā€¦
Miko:

• Made the jump more fluid and much more stable.
  • Fixed a bug where Miko might get stuck in some platforms.
  • Added camera shake for Miko when he gets hit (adds a really good feeling when getting hit by an enemy) ā€¦ so when you hit an enemy > the camera shakes BUT if you get hit again while Miko is blinking (recovery time) > it wonā€™t shake a second time in the same blinking ā€¦ why? ā€¦ I though a lot about this and I wanted to make the player feel the hit and make him a bit disoriented but whatā€™s the point of making him disoriented for a second time in the same recovery time? just felt itā€™s not fair and thought to make it happen only on the first impact (this wonā€™t be noticed btw maybe I donā€™t know, but itā€™s one of those little details in this game).
    OK moving onā€¦
  • Blinking works better now for Miko (recovery time).
  • Added death animation for Miko. (so when you die, youā€™re not instantly in the game over menu, itā€™s much more fluid).
  • Added ā€œLife 0ā€ for Miko ā€¦ it was a bug that stayed there for over 2 years and itā€™s fixed now.
  • Fixed a bug where fireball would not recharge.
  • Fixed a bug where fireball would not recharge at the same rate (which is every x seconds or millisecond you get 1 fireball to shoot).
  • Made the fireball recharge a bit slow (which makes the player use it wisely and not spam the key, I just like to give purpose to every key you press, no spamming in this game 100% guaranteed).
    Crystals:
  • New smooth collecting animation, I made it feel really nice (Youā€™re going to love it, trust me!).
  • Crystals shine more and a lot more interesting to look at.
  • Crystals score is changed (some gives you 1 while others give you 10 and so onā€¦).
  • Added more crystals to collect in the level which make the play time much much longer with the exploring aspect of the game (youā€™ll have a lot more fun basicallyā€¦).
  • Fixed a bug where crystals wonā€™t be registered when you collect themā€¦
  • Fixed an animation bug with the diamond you get from killing enemies.
    HUD:
  • Made a totally new HUD (drawn and designed, took inspiration from over 20 games and made something that works for everyone, well hopefully).
  • HUD has 2 states now ā€¦ detailed and concentrated (You donā€™t need to choose, both are active all the time) ā€¦ You start the level and the detailed HUD is visible showing you how many diamonds are needed to get the bronze, silver, gold medal and you have a counter for how many enemies are there there also you got a counter for secrets in the level (everything you finish in any of these rewards you with medals) ā€¦ After 8 seconds the HUD automatically goes into a more specific simpler version where it only shows your health and thatā€™s it ā€¦ but what if you want to check the HUD to see what you collected and whatā€™s left? ā€¦ Well I got you my friend ā€¦ at any moment when youā€™re in game you can check the detailed HUD by pressing ā€œCā€ ā€¦ Now you donā€™t need to worry about numbers and stuff, all you have in game is an interactive HUD that works for you when you need it (More immersion).
  • Added a new animation for the HUD.
  • Added a new animation for the fireball refill.
  • Added a blinking animation when youā€™re out of fireball (which letā€™s you know that you need to wait for a moment to let it recharge but at this time youā€™re defenseless until it recharges).
    Menus (UI):
  • Finally there is a whole new system for UI is being added (Iā€™m actually working on it while typing thisā€¦yup itā€™s my life nowā€¦).
  • Added a new fully working ā€œGame overā€ menu inside the level scene (which is huge for me because itā€™ll make me remove almost 14 useless scenes from the game).
  • Added a new fully working ā€œPause menuā€ >>> (A huge step for meā€¦)
  • Fixed an annoying bug with the mouse cursor (finally!).
  • Added a slow motion when you die (which honestly makes you feel bad for Miko :cry:, but donā€™t worry about it, Iā€™m sure youā€™re going to get him killed many many many ā€¦ times :smiling_imp::grin:).
    Game structure:
  • The game events and whole structure is like 20 times better to work with now, itā€™s simple, itā€™s clean, it gets to the point and 70% of events works on the whole game once you change them once. (This helps me a lot with development as it allows me to concentrate a lot more on the game not the events).
    Optimization:
  • Game is a bit more stable ā€¦ why? ā€¦ I did some events to removes some of the objects that not needed once the scene starts which helps a bit with performance ā€¦ it feels really nice now.
    Thatā€™s not all ā€¦ just some of it, a lot more to come in the future.
    Iā€™ll be going on a vacation for a week (need to clear my mind for a bit and honestly take a rest, Iā€™ve been working like a machine) ā€¦
    Anyway I really hope you enjoy what you see so far :slight_smile:
    See you soon everyone ā€¦ and as always ā€¦ stay awesome! :heart:
3 Likes

Hello Khaled!
You are working a lot, isā€™nt it?
Itā€™s your job if i understand well.
How many games have you already made?

1 Like

@Amigo54 at the time yes It is what I do, I released Mikoā€™s Adventures (old version).
Now Iā€™m working on Miko Adventures: Puffball (the full polished game).

Iā€™m still here ā€¦
Been adding new puzzle concepts (made the game so unique!)
Also adding new types of enemies.
Enjoy the latest pic I released (In-game)ā€¦

Stay awesome!

2 Likes

You have some talent for graphics! Itā€™s evident.
Well done and good next work.

How much does your game weigh?

1 Like

@Amigo54 thank you so much, itā€™s a combination of tons of free, paid assets and some I drew myself.
The hard thing about this is to match everything together to make the are style look and feel the same all over the game.
So most of the time I donā€™t use ready made assets into the game but it has to go through into photoshop for tons of edits and color changing to match the style of other assets.
Itā€™s a fun process but a difficult one for sure.

You mean the size of the game? If so ā€¦ I would assume itā€™s anywhere from 600 mb to 2 gb
If you mean the system requirements, then itā€™s hard to tell because itā€™s very difficult for me to test the game on many devices but Iā€™m sure that most devices and pc will handle it just fine ā€¦
More of that in the future though ā€¦ So keep following for more news :slight_smile:

Ok, thanks for your response.
Have you tested your game on several mobile devices if this last is planned to work on it?
Because i think the size of your game is very higher and this can cause issues on this category of devices.
If your game is planned for PC, i suppose there are no problems.

1 Like

@Amigo54 The game is made and optimized for PC yes

Ok. Thanks for your response.

1 Like

Miko: can you help?
Bunbun: sure!!
Miko: Bunbun stop playing around, why are you upside down? bad bunbun :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Just a small update ā€¦
There is no acceleration and deceleration when Miko is moving ā€¦
Any danger you get yourself into can be avoided in the last second.
Acceleration and deceleration were a huge problem for Miko because controls didnā€™t feel tight you know? Like it feels he is floating above ground.
But not anymore Miko has weight now and youā€™ll feel it while playing and moving around the world.

1 Like

Snowy stuff :snowflake:
Enjoy :heart:

3 Likes

My website is finally here: https://corianderg.wixsite.com/coriandergames
Edits and other stuff will be made in the future, but for now I have a working website at least :smile:

2 Likes

Boring donā€™t readā€¦
Personal update (Why I disappeared almost a month?):

Iā€™ll finally get back to work on the game, the last couple of months were the hardest for me to get through, I had to go through some very difficult personal stuff (a break up mainly and other things), working on the game with that much negative energy is just not good for the game at all so I had to stop for a while and refresh myself, play games, play with my bunny, go out and be with my family for some time to forget the pain.

2020 was not a good year Iā€™m sure for everyone, I donā€™t why ā€¦ I donā€™t how ā€¦ but one thing Iā€™m certain about is that ā€œTomorrow the sun will rise again and we will have another chance, hopefully a good oneā€

My college has started (Iā€™m in the last year which is good and bad at the same time) so work on the game will be a bit less but the development of (Miko Adventures: Puffball) will continue no matter how hard life becomes and no matter how long Iā€™m away, I promise.
I thank god to have a community like this who believes in what I do, when everyone leaves, this community will always be my destination :heart:

Thank you for being with me through this difficult journey :heart:

Sorry if this update a bit emotional, the future will be much better from now on.
It doesnā€™t matter who leave us, what really matters is that we did what we promised : )

As always ā€¦ stay awesome everyone :heart:
Iā€™ll see you in the next update on ā€œPuffballā€ whenever itā€™s ready : )

5 Likes

Yup, outside the borders itā€™s a bit messy :smile:
a quick look behind the scenes and yes Iā€™m not dead ā€¦ yet :smile:

So you may be wondering, what is new?

1- The structure of the levels are sliced into pieces which means that most levels are separated into parts and you can go back and forth between them through portals (itā€™s not an open world no but you might feel like it in some levels).

This change alone took almost 3 - 4 months to do but youā€™re wondering right now ā€¦ But why?
First:
Performance ā€¦ look the game is pretty demanding when the level is one big part, Gdevelop just couldnā€™t handle some big levels so I had to separate places and do tons of other stuff to make it work. (it was one the hardest decisions to take).
Second:
I need to make the game playable on most PCs out there ā€¦ you can say that the game is just not as heavy as before, tons of optimizations and hundreds and hundreds of tests were made to make this possible. also huge thanks to my friend (Kink) for helping me make this possible.

2- loading screens are almost none existing, itā€™s like 1 - 2 seconds loading before going into a level or through a portal or whatever. (you wonā€™t notice it that much).

3- More freedom like going back and forth through parts in levels, also some levels are bigger, more diverse and so unique that each part will feel like youā€™re playing a new game.

4- So when it the release date?
Alright look ā€¦ Iā€™m working hard on this and I just donā€™t want to rush anything out as this game will be my biggest achievement (in my whole life) and also the beginning of a lot more projects in the future (yes I have a lot in mind for Miko and other projects), so let me just say this ā€¦ It will be released when itā€™s finished, Iā€™m getting closer every single day.

I promise I wonā€™t let you down :heart:

5 Likes

So today was an epic and weird day, I woke up too early like 5 in the morning I think (I have no idea why but I was having nightmares) and then I decided that Iā€™ll work on the game for a bit then play some RE: Revelations 2 (this game is cool).
So I started working and then I test the game a couple of times like always and BOOM!! ā€¦ I found a very nasty bug that was so unbelievably hidden, the bug is not that game breaking but might be in some cases.
Jumping down is something you can do in (Miko Adventures: Puffball) by clicking ā€œSā€ button or ā€œDownā€ you can jump down from some platforms which gives more freedom.
Now the issue that I discovered today is that when I click ā€œSā€ not only Miko jumps down but sometimes enemies jumps down too (Because both have the same behavior) which is so terrible because enemies might fall off the map and this could break your score and you wonā€™t be able to get that gold medal most of the time and so on.
After almost 9 hours ā€¦ I managed to fix it with a very simple solution using a new object under Miko so when itā€™s in collision with that specific platform you can jump down, and it has nothing to do with any enemy or any object in the scene, it only affects Miko and nothing else. (Like a normal game :smile:)
Iā€™m so unbelievably tired ā€¦ these types of issues are scary especially when youā€™re so deep in the development of your game, the events in the game are like noodles.
My advice to anyone working on a big or even a small project ā€¦ Just make it a habit to test your game every single time you add something or add a new event or object or whatever, trust me you never know what youā€™ll find.
Just thought to make this quick update, Iā€™m going to play RE now and then maybe sleep a bit and get back to work on the game.
Will update you if something new comes up :hearts:
Stay awesome everyone :star:

4 Likes

POOF! :fire::raccoon::grin:

2 Likes

Same level, same location.
Here is what 2 years of progress looks likeā€¦
Itā€™s so weird looking back but so awesome at the same time ā€¦

5 Likes

Iā€™d like to share some great news with the community about ā€œMiko Adventures Puffballā€ :heart:

Thanks to the great help from @UlisesFreitas (Thanks a ton for the awesome help :heart:)
Also @Bouh , @Silver-Streak thank you for suggesting ways to test the gamepad.
I was finally able to make the game support controllers, itā€™s tested on Xbox one controller and 100% working with smooth gameplay and everything.

Also Iā€™d like to share some details about the game:

1- In case you didnā€™t know by now you can WISHLIST! on steam (It will help the game a lot on release so please Wishlist if you like the game and want to play on release): Miko Adventures Puffball on Steam

2- Miko Adventures Puffball is coming late 2021 (Expect great news from August to November).

3- It will release on Windows, Mac and Linux (Tested and 100% working perfectly). (Thank you @ddabrahim , @Kink and @4ian :heart:)

4- The game will support Keyboard and mouse AND Xbox one controllers.
(other controllers not tested so I canā€™t confirm 100% itā€™s going to work with PS4 (most likely it will) but if you have a PS4 controller or other controllers and would like to test out with me, please get in touch through PM and specify which controller you have and which system you own with specifications so we can discuss how you can help).

5- About the game length it depends on how skilled you are and whatā€™s your goal?

1. If you aim for just the story then you can finish the game quickly (around 2-3 hours I assume if youā€™re good with platforming games).
  2. if you aim for full completion then it can get pretty tough and youā€™ll be in for 6 or 8 hours or more again depending on your platforming skills.

So donā€™t worry, you get a lot of diversity and a lot of content to get lost into, I made sure to not just give you a game but an experience, a world to get lost into and a story to love :heart:

At the end I really hope you wishlist the game if you like what you see :heart: :Miko Adventures Puffball on Steam

Stay awesome everyone and talk to you all soon when new updates are ready :heart:

10 Likes