New Girl, Checking in

Decided to change things up a bit. A bubble Pop game! Has anyone done it yet? Fairly easy to put the scenes together but what should the functions be?

I probably should add each orb individually, The ones on the bottom wheel, How can I shoot and turn keeping them on the wheel? What should I do to make only groups of 3 or more explode when hit using the particle effects?

Took

a screenshot of where I am now. Looking for advice, not finding a bubble shooter tutorial here.

1 Like

look up the tank shooter tutorial, the controls should be similar.
http://wiki.compilgames.net/doku.php/gdevelop5/tutorials/tank-shooter

And also, hi and welcome.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never made a bubble pop game (not really my thing) but using my imagination, I guess youā€™ll need

• Shoot
  • Reload
  • Something to make the balls stick
  • A way to sort which balls explode and when
  • Test when balls hit the floor for game over

Thereā€™s a ā€˜place an object in position around anotherā€™ action (use search to find it) which might work.

I think if I were doing this I think Iā€™d use object variables. Youā€™d need a variable to test if the spheres are connected (connected=true) and another to test how many spheres are connected (connectedWith=integer)

I donā€™t know how itā€™ll work out in the end, but I could see you possibly needing another variable to create a unique id for each grouping of connected spheres.

2 Likes

Thank You! Good idea.

1 Like

I love all the great suggestions, Thank you!

1 Like

Please I need more insight in this. Iā€™m making a bubble shooter game and I donā€™t know what to do anymore

1 Like

Not much help, but answering so you donā€™t feel abandonedā€¦ The mechanics of making the canon shoot out bubbles is pretty simple. and making the bubbles land on a hidden grid of ā€œtargetā€ objects is doable. For the collisionā€¦ hmm. I guess you could move the bubbles along a vector and wait for a collision with a wall or another bubble, then if a wall youā€™d change the vector of movement to the inverse of the angle to make it bounce and if a bubble youā€™d pick the nearest ā€œtargetā€ and go to that spot.

The trickiest part (i think) would be tracking how many bubbles are adjacent. Testing for instances being in collision with other instances has proven challenging to me. (an instance is always in collision with itself)ā€¦ This is probably impossible to express via text and is likely a terrible way of doing it , but it would seem like youā€™d have to do something like scan from the back wall forward and on each target location place invisible ā€œchainā€ objects that could be tested for collisions with other bubbles. Like (again, this probably isnā€™t helpful)ā€¦

O.Oā€¦O (the O are bubbles). So scanning from left to right youā€™d create a tester (/) object at the first location as wellā€¦
Ƙ.Oā€¦O and check for a collision between the tester (/) and bubble (O). If tester is in collision with a bubble then youā€™d replace the tester with a chain object (shown with number of chain ID) that has the color stored to a value as well as a chain ID (the starting bubble location so it is unique?).
1/Oā€¦O the second test object is not in collision with a bubble so it is ignored.
1.Ƙā€¦O The tester is in collision with bubble and is not adjacent to any chainsā€¦
1.2/ā€¦O So you place a chain and keep scanning until you get
1.2ā€¦3. and start on the next rowā€¦

1.2ā€¦3
.Oā€¦ so youā€™d start scanning that rowā€¦

1.2ā€¦3
/Oā€¦ the first location is not on a bubble so you move on

1.2ā€¦3
.Ƙā€¦ The target is in collision with a bubble and is also in collision with chain 1 and chain 2, so you create a new chain object and change all chains with chain ID 1 and 2 to chain ID 4

4.4ā€¦3
.4ā€¦ and continue scanning. On every row you check each tester to make sure it is in collision with a chain or bubble and if not, you send the bubble upwards until it hits a bubble.

There, I said it was terrible and impossible to express, but thatā€™s my thought.

-a

2 Likes