Office Break (a stealth game)

Hello everyone!

I’ve almost completed my first game and it’s called “Office Break”.

You can play it here: Office Break | Play on gd.games

You play as an employee who has to go to the toilets, in an office where toilets breaks are prohibited. You’ll have to avoid your managers and other obstacles to reach the bathroom before it’s “too late” :grimacing:.

It’s a small game obviously ironic, here’s some pictures:

I’ll hope to complete the game soon, so you can play it and maybe have some fun.

Have a nice day!

15 Likes

Now that’s a neat twist on stealth type game storyline. It sounds like it could be fun, and the graphics look appealing. Do you have a demo that we can play? We could give feedback that you may (or may not) want to incorporate into the game.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to play it!
Great idea :grin:
And it looks great as well!
Good luck to finish it

1 Like

Thanks! I don’t have a demo (I didn’t think about it!) but the game is short and almost ready to be played. I’ll try to post very soon!

3 Likes

Wow I love the idea and the graphic style.

1 Like

Hello

Hâte de le tester ! Les graphismes sont cool en tout cas

1 Like

If you don’t mind me asking, how’d you handle the AI and detection stuff?

Sure, no problem!

The main enemies are your supervisors. They can detect the player if:

• the player is on the same zone as the supervisor

• the player is on collision with the field of view of the supervisor (The fields of view are basically juste sprite in triangle shape that follows the supervisors)

The supervisors follow a pattern to make it simple. If the player is detected, there’s a short timer when the player can hide. If not, it’s game over. Of course if the player touches the supervisors, it’s game over.

There’s other type of ennemy that are a little different but uses basically the same logic.

You can see below the zones where the player can be detected (in stripped blue) and the fields of views (both are hidden in the game).

1 Like

Very nice! Thank you!

1 Like

Hello everyone,

The game is finally playable from start to finish :partying_face:

The link is in the first post of this topic.

I tried my best to make the gameplay clear without giving to much infos ingame, so I hope it works.

Tell me what you think, if you have ideas to make it better, if you see bugs… and if you have some fun!

1 Like

How do I get out from behind the desk? Arrow key s don’t do anything, neither does aswd. Shift makes the character crouch behind the monitor, while control and space don’t appear to do anything.

@MrMen Thanks for trying the game!

It seems a last minute change in the code broke the game :no_mouth: (I’ve added an option to change keyboard controls, since I’m using AZERTY).

But it should work now. I updated the links.

Yep, that works a lot better.

Now I’m stuck working out how to get the code from the boss. If I try sneaking into his office or approach him directly, he spots me and fires me.

The code is on its computer. When you knock at his door, you need to hide behind the plants to be “invisible”. The trick then is to get into his office, get the code and exit before he gets back.

I guess I’ll have to add all that in the tutorial when you launch a new game to make it 100% clear.

Maybe an interactive tutorial, with a special level designed to teach the basics?

Maybe I’m just doing something, wrong because I’ve tried that. He comes out of his office, takes a few steps and then turns around. As soon as I try the door, I get fired. Am I missing something?

Yeah, maybe a few starter levels too. Just remember that you’ve been play-testing while you’ve been developing the game. Your game skills are a lot higher than someone just starting.

You’re not missing something, he’s not supposed to react like that! I must have changed something before uploading the game and now it doesn’t work.

I’m sorry this is my first time so I don’t have the right workflow. I’m going to see what’s wrong, and at the same time change the tutorial. And then test it online to be sure it works so I don’t waste your time.

Don’t view it as time wasting. Consider us volunteer testers of your game. And I’m just glad behaviour is not because I’m useless at the game :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

The new version of the game is online (link in the first post). I’ve added an interactive tutorial and a few other things. Let me hear what you think!

1 Like

Great game!
I did the tutorial and first level in 57 sec.
Really, that’s great !

1 Like

Vraiment top, bravo
Même les graphismes vont bien avec le reste !
Chapeau aussi pour le didacticiel interactif, super !

C’est dur, mais addictif !
Bravo !

1 Like