Pink square top left corner instead of animation

Hello everyone,

I’m facing a new kind of headache, I’m sure this is not new to most of you.

Everything looks great in the preview, the debug preview on GD soft, but once exported, my “plus sign” suddenly bugs and I get a pink square instead of the hover state or down state (animation 1 and 2 out of 0,1,2).

Tried to remove the shake “Game feel”, tried different order in event/subevent, nothing worked and it’s hard to “debug” when the issue doesn"t show up on the preview but only in the exported version, I’m sure you can relate.

Here’s the version:
https://games.gdevelop-app.com/game-d380ec3d-da14-43af-8d47-c8d251f1fbe6/index.html

The event sheet stuff:

The states of the Plus Sign this is supposed to play (and does, in engine preview) :

(Notice how ‘bright’ the plus should be on hover, doesn’t work on export)

Thank you in advance!
Maxime

From the link you provided, I get the following in the developer tools console:

This means the images weren’t included in the HTML package. Check the files you are using are where you expect them - hover over the animations to see what image it uses.

1 Like

Also note: Never include special characters in your file names, ESPECIALLY if you’re doing an HTML release. Even if the files are there, they’re likely broken for the HTML/web version.

Websites have special encoding rules, so +%& and all other special characters will likely break.

This is also true for some characters in certain desktop builds.

Overall, your asset file names should exclusively have A-Z, 0-9, or hyphens/underscores ( _ or -). You even want to avoid spaces whenever possible.

1 Like

@MrMen, @Silver-Streak,

First of all, many thanks for taking the time to check this and helping.
Second, you were right (to nobody’s surprise!), the naming was the issue, now it works as intended.
Third! You both have been helping me so many times through others’ posts and I meant to thank you for that too. Without your generous contributions, GD wouldn’t be what it is and beginners like me who are not familiar with coding at all would most likely give up much earlier, so a massive thank you to you two.

The plus sign now works, I’m so happy! Thanks again!
https://games.gdevelop-app.com/game-bfe77e51-6555-4002-bcad-d0a3c1c66530/index.html

3 Likes