Preview in fullscreen not showing the full scene

Hi guys,
I have a problem with preview. Many of my projects are made for 4K screens (3840x1920) but my development computer (MacBook Pro 16") does not have that resolution. So when previewing projects the scene is cut off. If I connect an external 4K display to my Mac, it still wont show the correct size in the preview. Are there any settings I can do to be able to preview the correct proportions?

Cheers

Farid

Actually I think it is the fullscreen command that is the problem. I have the same problem when I export the project. BUT if I choose “No changes to game size” in the project settings it solves my problem. That has never happened before.

What you’re discussing here is correct behavior for your settings in your screenshot.

“Update resolution of the game to fit the screen or window size” being checked means “No matter what default resolution I have set here, resize the visible canvas to whatever resolution is available for my display” Since your monitor isn’t 4k, it’s cutting off anything that is past it’s display size.

Disabling this checkbox will scale the internal resolution to the display size (or window size). It is scaling though, so if it you are going to a non integer resolution, or a resolution with a different aspect ratio, it’s going to look slightly off.

1 Like

You should preview your project over the network. Open it in your browser, and from there select the resolution you wish.
Also a good way to test for different devices.

Thanks for explaining how it works.

//Farid

That would require a lot of work and time since my projects usually are really heavy with loads of videos and stuff. Also, I would need to ftp every html5-preview to my web server, if I have understood your suggestion correctly?

Cheers

Farid

To be clear, pretty sure that user is saying you should use the built in Network preview in the engine. You run it on whatever system you’re currently editing your project in.

https://wiki.gdevelop.io/gdevelop5/interface/preview#launch_a_network_preview_preview_over_wifilan

Indeed, when you preview your project in, for instance, Google Chrome, you can press ctrl+shift+i and from there emulate any device, resolution or screensize.

3 Likes

Wow, I didn’t know there was such a feature. That would have saved me a lot of time when I made a web based game a year ago. Thanks!!

//Farid